Shirts for concealed carry

rpseraph

Hello ladies and gents,
I am on a quest for the perfect shirt to meet the following criteria.
- Button down, preferably short sleeve but not mandatory
- Looks good untucked.
- Not tactical looking. We've all been/seen that guy, and we all know he's carrying or wants to be. It's called concealed carry for a reason :D
- Long enough to aid in concealment.
- I am a big guy, 6'4" 275lbs. XXL, tall is usually best.
- I usually carry IWB at 3:30, but sometimes I'll carry OWB, so some extra room in the shirt helps a lot.
- I am a younger guy with a younger family, my budget is tied up in more important places, so lower price is good.

I have tried:
- Columbia PFG. These are nice, but they are very fisherman/Steve Irwin/Safari looking, not quite appropriate for work for me.
- 5.11 Taclite Pro Tall. Almost perfect aside from cost. Fairly tactical looking.
- Blackhawk Long Sleeve Lightweight Tactical Shirt. Not lightweight, I'd even call it heavy fabric. I look like a cop when I wear it, that's a con for my purposes.

So have any of you found a go to shirt that suits your needs and may fill mine?

BarryLee

Quite honesty a lot of men's shirts now are designed to be worn untucked, so spend an afternoon at the mall and see what might work for you. Also, I have had good luck with the Carhartt short sleeve button down work shirts. Anyway, there are a lot of options outside of the traditional tactical/sporting goods retailers that should work.

aarondhgraham

Go Polynesian my friend,,,

Hawaiian shirts work perfectly for me.

I do try and buy the "tall" size though,,,
That extra 2-3 inches of length helps conceal the gun.

Aarond

FITASC

Look at nice dress shirts with a Tattersall plaid pattern; that really helps hide any "printing" possibilities.

250px-Tattersall.jpg

They come in a wide variety of plaid color combinations and work great with blue jeans to khaki/Dockers

Don Fischer

Generally I like un-quilted sweat shirts. Used to cut the arms off in spring and they still hide the gun. I carry OWB but make the belt go over the outside of the holster. Pulls the pistol in really well. Got the idea for a girl that posted it some where. Might have been here, don't remember.

rpseraph

Thanks guys, good advice as always. I ordered a few things, we'll see how they work out.

Like you said, no CCW specific clothing needed, I think that is mostly marketing to take advantage of people like us... but some shirts work better than others, for sure.

spacemanspiff

Not a button down, but I like Under Armor polo shirts. Material is heavy enough that nothing prints. Its that breathable fabric, keeps cool in the heat.

Minorcan

Are you IWB or OWB? I have tried Carhartt but all their products seem to shrink a lot after washing. I had to get at least one size larger, sometimes two and go to a tall. Their products last but just shrink. For OWB I like the untucked Hawaiian shirts but for IWB at work I prefer tucked in thicker Polos.