Shipping With USPS

TomL

Hello all, I was sure there was a very informative thread here about using the Post Office to send a rifle to a factory/gunsmith/ffl. I scrolled a few pages but cannot find it but I went to the post office website but was unable to find anything, it might be there but in disguise. I have need to send, the recipients are ffl's, just need more particulars, like what do I do with the Copy of the FFL that I am going to get from the recipient before sending the rifle, what if any problems might occur at the Post Office, is FedX/UPS a better way? Thanks Tom

Don H

Mailing information is found in the Domestic Mail Manual, Section 601.11
http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/601.htm#wp1065404

The way Post Offices deal with the mailing of long guns appears to vary depending on how knowledgable the staff is. I would suggest printing out a copy of the pertinent information and having it available when you get to the counter.

ailog

Interestingly, there appears to be no requirement that a sender notify the USPS that a rifle or shotgun is in the package. I searched the ATF FAQs, Sec 922, the ATF reference guide section 178, and the USPS site mentioned. Common or contract carriers must be notified but nothing specific about the USPS. Maybe its implied. Did I miss it somewhere? Am I missing something?

Last edited:

Buzzcook

I recently shipped two guns through the USPS. I didn't bother to notify them and the packages arrived without any problem.
They were my own guns which I decided not to put in my carry on baggage.
It was legal for me to own the guns in both locations.

Lurch37

I copied this from the Seller's Firearm Shipping Guide on GunBroker's website:

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

(B7) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?[
A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

Here is the link to the entire page:

http://gunbroker.com/Support/SupportFAQView.asp?FAQID=1118&NoCount=1

I've shipped a few long guns using the USPS and had Zero problems. I will add that I always told them I was shipping a shotgun or rifle. The only thing they asked was if it was loaded. I said no it isn't and that was that. I always took along the FFL copy when I mailed the item, and was never asked to see it or anything like that. Then I just kept the copy for my records.

Buzzcook

ailog, the handgun went into a "anywhere same price" box and the long gun was in a box from a bolt of fabric that was shipped ground.
The handgun showed up the day after we got home and the long gun took a week.

dogtown tom

Buzzcook: ...The handgun showed up the day after we got home and the long gun took a week.

Are you a firearms dealer? If not, you violated Federal law for mailing a handgun through the US Postal Service.:rolleyes:

langenc

Regarding rifles and shotguns-

....meeting the GCA 68 etc etc and rules promulgated therunder or some such!!

How do I tell my postmaster that the rifle meets all criteria. He is of the opinion that NO gun may be mailed..

frogger42

I would call ahead of time and ask to speak to the Postmaster. Get clear instructions and get his/her name. I have found that you can ask the same question to 10 different clerks and get 10 different answers. Get the answer ahead of time from their boss so when they tell you your doing it wrong, you can refer them to him/her.

Buzzcook

Are you a firearms dealer? If not, you violated Federal law for mailing a handgun through the US Postal Service.

Nope not a firearms dealer. But still not a criminal. The handgun was an antique and legal to send through the USPS.