Shipping Rifle Through the USPS

Lurch37

I was hoping for any input as to the length of time it takes for a rifle shipped parcel post? Said rifle was shipped 10-30-07 and unfortunately I'm still waiting for it to arrive at my FFL. Communication has been superb with the seller and item was insured. My problem is I get no answers with the USPS, even with a tracking number all they can tell me is that the item has been shipped and it's either on the way or lost. They can't tell me exactly where it is or anything.

I guess I'm asking if anyone has had to wait this long, or longer? The seller and I are only 2 states away so it doesn't seem like distance could be the problem. Am I missing something here? Is there anything else I can do as far as trying to find out where this item is? It's a 30 day wait until I can proceed with an insurance claim according to the USPS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

speedracer211

Two states away? You should have it by now. Call your ffl. I have had guns I bought off of forums sit at my ffl for a week or more without them calling me. I shipped a pistol through usps once with the help of my local ffl buddy from PA to MD registered mail and it was there in 2-3 days. Registered is the best method because it is under lock and key and every person that touches the package has to sign off on it.

Lurch37

It's not at my FFL's, I've stopped there everyday before going to the main P.O. to see if they know where the package is at. Even using the tracking number given to me buy the seller/shipper, all the USPS tells me is that it was shipped and thats all they know. Frustrating to say the least.

SOSARMS

Parcel post can take 10-12 days to arrive.....Why did he ship parcel post anyway???
Regular 1st class only costs about $15.............

Lurch37

Parcel post can take 10-12 days to arrive

Maybe there is hope yet that it is still on the way. :)

Why did he ship parcel post anyway???

Good question, one that I asked of him also. His reply was that "it's how he has shipped over a 100 items...rifles included".

shield20

I "shipped" a check for a rifle to a guy in Vermont USPS Priority - it took 4 DAYS to get there; he shipped the rifle USPS Pri, it arrived the NEXT day! Who KNOWS where this stuff goes in the mean time!

Good luck, as it probably will arrive eventually.

Lurch37

Well heck, here I was about to give up and lo and behold I get the call that my rifle has been delivered. Thats 11 days counting last Sat. As a recent poster said whos know where this stuff goes. Makes a guy wonder.

velocette

Just as a suggestion to any that would ship by USPS. Always pay the little extra for Priority mail and insure it. The small difference in price is nothing compared to the agony of a parcel post (it takes forever) shipment.
Also, go to the post office with a copy of the postal regulations page on shipment of long arms. Some (many) people in the PO have not a clue and insist upon following the rules for handguns.

Roger

k Squared

Got link?

Velocette,

Can you give me a web address for the postal regulation on firearms shipments?

Thanks in advance!

CGSteve8718

Hmm, 2 states away shouldn't take this long. I recently sold a rifle to someone in MO using Parcel Post and it took a little over a week.

It is normal for it to not have constant updates with the delivery confirmation number; it's not like UPS where they have a high speed giant PDA that updates it. When I was checking up on mine, it said "accepted" at my local PO for the entire time, then I checked it again one day and it said delivered to X city, MO.

jdc1244

Here are the postal regulations: :

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/601.htm#wp1098069

It would be best to contact the front desk supervisor at your local post office first. I’m glad I did. Actually the supervisor did not know the policy and he had to contact the main office. I got this all sorted out before taking my rifle to be mailed. I had a copy of the FFL (which I did not need but it would be good to have anyway), a letter I wrote stating the rifle was unloaded, and I made sure the container did not have any reference to a firearm, including the manufacturer’s name. The clerk weighted and measured the package to make sure the rifle exceeded the bbl length requirements and I was good to go. I shipped priority insured for about $30.

CGSteve8718

It's good to be careful, but it doesn't actually say that you must to show them anything, or write a letter, as long as you are abiding by the rules written down.

When I mailed a rifle, I just made sure it was unloaded (it was actually broken down, bolt and all), wrapped it up for protection, no markings indicating a firearm was inside on the packaging and mailed it (to an FFL).