Shipping question...

Indrid Cold

If I'm shipping a pistol and a rifle to a FFL dealer as a trade on part of a sale, do I need to ship through an FFL dealer, or can I just stick both firearms in a box and 2nd Day them with a copy of my Driver's License after notifying the shipping office of the firearms?

MisterPX

Federally, you need to send both to a FFL in the other traders state. You may want to seperate teh two guns being shipped though, as handguns have to be overnighted, and rifles don't. Would save you a bundle of $$$ by not having to overnight 9lbs of rifle.

Indrid Cold

Good point on the poundage. The person I am shipping to is an FFL, so that's not really the issue. I was wondering about what the shipping issue was on my end. I guess I'm sort of confused, because if I was shipping a firearm in for repairs or something, I wouldn't have to FFL it, would I?

MisterPX

For repairs, yes, you'd have to ship TO FFL.
Shipping FROM an FFL is going to depend on the receiving FFL. Some FFL's will take shipments from private citizens, others will only receive from other FFL's. Best to ask the FFL you're shipping to.

For example:I'm the receiving FFL. I accept shipments from individuals. You get my FFL info, confirm addreess. GO to PO, mail rifle to me. DOne.

Example 2, I'm FFL, I do NOT take shipments from individuals. You confirm address, you go to your local FFL, have him send me rifle.

You're trade partner should be able to help you find out if the receiving FFL will take shipments from individuals. If his FFL won't take from individuals, I'd make him eat the cost of having to pay your FFL to send it.

Hope that helps.