shipping from Midway

Rifleman1776

Years ago I was a regular customer of Midway Arms. Good people and almost everything you need. But, I stopped buying from them.
Yesterday, I was reminded why I stopped doing business with them.
I was going to order a small item that cost about $10.00 and only weighed a couple ounces.
They added at $3.00 "fee" and very high shipping charges. Total cost would have been over $27.00. It could have been mailed for under $1.00.
I'll do without before letting myself get ripped like that. If they continue sending me catalogs I'll use just for reference and price comparison but will never buy from them again.

Pahoo

I agree !!

You got that right and there is more than one problem that comes into play and gets deaper into you pocket !!

Be Safe !!!

ltc444

Except for some speciality items, I have found my local gun shop to be within a few pennies or the cutrate mail order houses.

In some cases they can special order an item for me and get it in quicker than those same place.

You need to look at total price, not just the advertised price.

JWT

I always make sure I'm going to order enough from them to avoid those charges. Their selection, good sale prices, and extremely fast delivery are the reason I continue to buy from them.

Don P

Its even worse when you have a FFL on file. Minimum order is $40.00 without occurring a $4 handling charge. I wanted the new Lee second edition reloading manual and shipping with the handling charge was more than the cost of the book so I ordered from Factory Sales and was able to get a shell holder and the book for a few cents more than Mid-Way was going to charge me.

Charlie98

I've been ordering from Midway since about 1990... back when you had to call the long-distance (non-toll free) number and talk to the nice lady on the other end. They most likely have what you are looking for at any given time.

I would tend to agree, however, that recently their shipping charges have gotten out of hand. If I can ship stuff in a flat-rate USPS PM box for cheap, why can't they?

I'll buy from them if I have to, but there is too much competition out there to continually stick yourself in the eye with those high shipping charges.

briandg

consider going to Graf's. I've done far more business with them than with midway.

Standard shipping is only $5 flat rate. They waive that shipping occasionally. They waive hazmat sometimes. Good catalog and inventory. Good prices. Good specials. very good service.

cjwils

A few years ago, I ordered a very small item from Midway, and was shocked at the shipping charge that the automated on-line ordering system wanted to add on. I phoned them and spoke directly to a sales person, who was able to override the automated system and ship it for much less. I don't know if that can still be done.

Mesquito Whitey

While I really like Midway, I agree that shipping and "handling" is a little over the top. I ordered two boxes of Wolf Match Extra .22 and one box of Lapua Pistol King and after I had added my NRA dollar, it was $40.00. Won't stop ordering from them though. Too much good stuff and fast service.

Merad

Ironic that this thread popped up today. I was looking for some hex head grip screws for my P226 this morning... Went to order them from Midway - $7 shipping on an $8 item?? No way. Ended up buying them from some guy on eBay.

horseman308

I had the same experience ordering a couple 1911 parts recently. $10 worth of parts, $10 shipping, and the $3 fee. I went ahead and did it, because most other places were out of stock on those parts, and because the total cost from Midway was the same price as the total cost ordering somewhere else (Brownells, for example, had higher sale prices but lower shipping and was out of stock). Even my LGS was out of stock on those parts. In the end, it was a wash, but I did feel like I got hosed a little bit.

I ordered from Brownell's yesterday...the 2 items were shipped less than 2 hours after ordering, shipping was 5 bucks, tracking number says the package will be here Monday. No complaints about their service!

Sulaco2

I priced .450 Marlin ammo and when I saw the shipping charge cancelled the order, with the shipping costs it doubled the cost of the order. No more Midway.

FrankenMauser

Shipping charges are going up. It's not just Midway raising their prices.

And... the common complaint of "Getting ripped off over a $2 order" is just stupid. If you actually read their policy, you'll see the $25 minimum order. Trying to place an order through an online merchant, without reading their policies, is ludicrous. It's like signing a blank sales contract at a car dealer, before discussing the sale price, or other figures.

If you don't want to order $25 worth of merchandise, that's not Midway's problem. The policy was in place, long before you finally opened your eyes to the matter.

If you don't like the way they do business, go elsewhere.

Cheapshooter

I am very pleased with Midway, and especially their service. I don't make small orders of one or two low cost items. I usually find enough of what is on sale, or what I want to not incur the extra fee. The shipping cost is in line with every other mail order place I have dealt with going way back to the days of Herter's. that's a place that went out of business probably before some of you were born!
Shipping has always been incredibly fast, even next day at times.
Great company to deal with.

skeeter

I also stopped buying from Midway because of their very high shipping charges. I bought 3 boxes of 357 ammo and the ammo was a good price but not after over $27 shipping for 3 boxes. Palmetto Arms charged me $12 for 4 times the weight in ammo (26 lbs).

Kreyzhorse

I rarely buy from them. As mentioned, their shipping charges are way out of line. Hopefully if enough people stop buying from them, they'll eventually catch on.

Nathan

I used to be a regular Midway shopper. Now, I find their website confusing and non-sale prices high. This combined with the min order and shipping issues is a real turn off. I will keep trying, but will probably look elsewhere more often...

Merad

Shipping charges are going up. It's not just Midway raising their prices.

You must not have read their policy closely, because even Midway doesn't try to pass it off as shipping prices. It's pretty clear that it's nothing more than a "help us make more profit on small orders" fee.