Shipping a rifle

jimjc

I`ve never shipped a rifle so what options do I have to ship a rifle out of state in the USA. Who ships and how much generally does it cost?

oneounceload

USPS, Fedex, UPS

Where I live, USPS and Fedex ground both work well. A typical rifle weighing about 12# wrapped and worth about $500 will run about $25

Rob62

Of course you know that it must go through an FFL at the receivers end, if shipping out of state. (I presume you are not shiping it to yourself). This is a Federal law and some state laws may be more restrictive.

Some drop ship locations such as Mailboxes Etc will not accept a firearm for shipping due to their internal policies. I have found it easiest if you take the gun to a "Hub" or main drop off location for the big shippers (UPS/FedEx)

Regards,
Rob

Carter

Go to a UPS warehosue store. They generally know more about shipping firearms. Some of the smaller outlet stores think its illegal. :rolleyes:

oneounceload

Some of the smaller outlet stores think its illegal.

Not really, they are NOT a part of UPS, they are an independent franchise - the old Mailboxes, Etc. group. Their POLICY is to not accept them.

I have used all three with no issues whatever

Not really, they are NOT a part of UPS, they are an independent franchise - the old Mailboxes, Etc. group. Their POLICY is to not accept them.
Close.

The former Mailboxes USA chain of franchises is now owned (the parent company, from whom the individual stores license the right to operate) 100 percent by UPS, so they ARE a part of UPS. And it is UPS policy that they are not allowed to accept shipments of firearms or ammunition at those stores. Only at UPS hubs.

Carter

Ah, okay. I was speaki,g from my experience at a ups outlet store. The lady looked at me like I was a criminal and had no clue about how to ship a rifle. I was just there to get a box, not ship it.

oneounceload

UPS bought the parent company. Each location is an independently owned location - just like McD's. There are corporate policies that are implemented and as a franchisee, you will follow.

As you stated, it is their POLICY, it is NOT illegal, just SOP for them, whereas MY local Fedex and USPS both have ZERO issues and Fedex's rates in my area seem to be less than UPS