Shipping a pistol to MA

Chipperman

Going to be moving back to MA soon :(
Anyway, is it legal to purchse a gun and have it shipped to an FFL in MA, if it is not a MA "legal" gun. Right now there are about 2 different guns you can buy new there.
Does it matter if the gun is new or used?

M1911

Chipperman:

No. Any gun transfered via an MA FFL must meet the AGs gun safety regulations.

Buy whatever you want in the state in which you currently reside. When you move to MA, store your guns out of state. Then get your MA LTC (pistol permit) and you can bring your guns in. (There is a 60 day grace period, but I wouldn't count on it -- it may take well more than 60 days to take a safety course and get your permit.)

You can bring any guns with you once you have your permit.

While you're at it, move to NH, not MA.

M1911

Chipperman

Thanks for the reply. I didn't think it was ok., but wanted to be sure.

The permit is not an issue. I already have a Class A license which I have held since I left MA about 10 years ago. I've been using my father's address as my "permanent address". I'm glad I did that, because now I don't have to go through any hoops when I move. Things are getting bad in that state, as you all know.

I am more concerned about getting new guns in the future. It's gonna be tough to move from the relatively gun-friendly state of PA to The People's Repulik of Taxachusetts.

As far as moving into NH, I am giving it serious consideration, because my new job is only about 20 minutes from the border. I haven't found any good NH rentals yet though. I'll keep looking.

oktagon

Here are the guns you can by "new" in MA:

1. Most S&Ws
2. All Sigs, exept for SigPro
3. All Ruger DA revolvers
4. Beretta (soon)
Most misc DA revolvers

Averything else must be either used or made before sept'98.
Its a sad state of affairs.

On the plus side, if you move to a "good town" CCW is fairly easy and covers entire state. There are also almost no restrictions on were you can carry. The only NONO placeas are achools, courts (check in with security officer), federal buildings and airports.
No bull about "no carry in alcohol serving/selling establishments, hospitals etc).
Oh, by the way unless you would like to familiarise yourself with penal system, NEVER USE OPEN CARRY!

PS. Unless you absolutely have to, move to NH. Life is MUCH cheaper ans laws are better.
Even if you live in NH, you can commute to MA foe work, and with none-resident CCW you can carry too.

M1911

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chipperman:

As far as moving into NH, I am giving it serious consideration, because my new job is only about 20 minutes from the border.
[/quote]

Only 20 minutes from the border? RUN, DON'T WALK, TO NH. Don't move back to this gun owner's hellhole. You can get a non-resident class A.

M1911

patrickt66

Chipperman,
I live in NH and work in MA and I can assure you that it is well worth the commute. I belong to gun clubs in both states and am the envy of many at the MA club.