Shipping a handgun to the factory, best way?

glockorama

I need to send a Taurus revolver back to the factory for repairs. What is the easiest way to go? Which carriers are best? Do you have to declare it a firearm?

SGT405

Yes, you are required to declare it. Fedex or UPS will both ship but it must go overnight. UPS requires you to bring it to their main drop off center near you, Fedex will pick up(or you can take it to them too). NO ammo with gun!! I have found both to be acceptable.

pocketman

The gun can only be returned to a ffl holder, (Its this way in massachusettes)

Talk to your dealer and ask him to send it back for you, It will be cheaper because he can send it via US postal priority and tauras will just return it to him (he will have to include a copy of his ffl)

EOD Guy

Since you are sending the firearm to an FFL holder, you are not required to declare it to the carrier. However, I would declare the firearm so that any possible insurance claims would not be compromised.

Pocketman's suggestion would be the easiest and cheapest.

notos&w

i recently shipped a gun back to ruger at mailboxes etc. i told them it was required to go overnight but the lady behind the counter said it was only required to be shipped by air.

dont know if shes right or not but the shipping was $16 instead of the usual $30 for overnight.

in the past ive shipped overnight so ill be interested to find out if this gal is right.

KSFreeman

I've used UPS many, many times. The big terminal here is by my gym. Only one problem, last year when they sent a 1911 I got back from Cylinder & Slide to my office in Lafayette, Colorado. Doh!

I always use the line, "now, I have to send this Next Day because you guys hire thieves, right?" I wish I could post the facial reactions.:D

Lennyjoe

Shipped mine to Taurus many years ago and it went Fed Ex. Wanted to get it to them as fast as I could. The only question asked by the employee at the Fed Ex station was " Its not accompanied by any ammunition is it?". Duh I said, No. Thats about it. No problems from them at all.

Hkmp5sd

That's state law, not federal. I have sent guns in for repair to an FFL and had them shipped back to my residence.

johnbt

I think that the easiest way is to have a dealer send it, especially if you bought it from them. They might do it for free, too. A friend just sent a 6-month-old Beretta back to the factory and it didn't cost him a cent. It never hurts to ask if they can help you out - and you were going to drop by the gun shop anyway, right?

Even if there's a fee involved, I'd rather give my money to the gun store.

John

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
pocketman said:
As Hkmp5sd said, that is not a federal law, but a Massachusetts law. glockorama should check Washington State Law to see if there is a similar provision. To my knowledge, there is not.

EOD Guy said:
Since you are sending the firearm to an FFL holder, you are not required to declare it to the carrier.
That is completely untrue. You MUST inform the carrier (UPS or FED EX) that you are shipping a firearm. This is a carrier regulation and may be a federal regulation as well. However, you may not put anything on the outside of the package that would indicate it's contents.

I wouldn't go through an FFL because they would be required to run a background check on you before they give your pistol back to you. Stupidity, eh?

It's not a PT145 is it? ;)

James K

Member In Memoriam
Since I keep on good terms with the local dealers, I usually send stuff through them, as it is a lot less hassle. I do all the packing and wrapping, use their return address, and pay the postage and insurance. They can send by mail for a lot less than a parcel service charges.

But for warranty work, contact the company first. They will usually send you a parcel service label which you can put on the package so they pay for shipping both ways.

The Federal law allows you to send a firearm you own back directly to the a factory, U.S. rep, or custom gunsmith for repair or other work, and allows them to return it or a like replacement directly to you, but does not allow you to send a handgun by mail. Be sure to include your own return address in the package, along with a letter explaining what is wrong or what you want done. Don't expect them to know this from some e-mail or phone call days or weeks ago. Try to be as explicit as possible. If there is a problem describe it in detail. Describe (but DO NOT include) the ammunition used, or, if custom work, exactly what you want done and what items you want, including the maker of any parts to be added.

Use proper wrapping, the original box if possible, and adequate padding. If you have received anything from CMP, it is a good idea to keep the CMP box and padding to reuse to ship a long gun.

Jim

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
John,

I should clarify...

I meant that it is the epitome of stupidity that you are required by the .gov to undergo a background check to take posession of a firearm that you already own. Not that it is stupid to go through an FFL. I can certainly see reasons for doing it that way.

To each his own, eh? ;)

EOD Guy

EOD Guy said:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since you are sending the firearm to an FFL holder, you are not required to declare it to the carrier.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is completely untrue. You MUST inform the carrier (UPS or FED EX) that you are shipping a firearm. This is a carrier regulation and may be a federal regulation as well. However, you may not put anything on the outside of the package that would indicate it's contents.

My original statement stands. 27CFR 178.31 only requires notification when shipping to OTHER THAN a licensee. I have two separate letters from BATF HQ attesting to that fact. Also see below.

The carriers may require notification but there are no legal consequences for not notifying them other than giving them a basis for denying any insurance claim. The insurance angle is why I would not withhold information about the contents.

TITLE 27--ALCOHOL, TOBACCO PRODUCTS AND FIREARMS

CHAPTER I--BUREAU OF ALCOHOL, TOBACCO AND FIREARMS, DEPARTMENT OF THE
TREASURY

PART 178--COMMERCE IN FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION--Table of Contents

Subpart C--Administrative and Miscellaneous Provisions

Sec. 178.31 Delivery by common or contract carrier.

(a) No person shall knowingly deliver or cause to be delivered to
any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in
interstate or foreign commerce to any person OTHER THAN a licensed
importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector,
any package or other container in which there is any firearm or
ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or
ammunition is being transported or shipped: Provided, That any passenger
who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported
aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in
interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition
into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such
common or contract carrier for the duration of that trip without
violating any provision of this part.

Last edited:

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
EOD Guy - You are correct.

I said, "You MUST inform the carrier (UPS or FED EX) that you are shipping a firearm. This is a carrier regulation and may be a federal regulation as well."

It is not, apparently, a federal regulation. Thanks for straightening that out.

You said, "The insurance angle is why I would not withhold information about the contents."

Good advice. :)

johnbt

TheBluesMan - You from Canada, eh? Just kidding. I'm from Virginia. We just say "Huh?". The Ole Virginny that is, not the new Northern Virginia :)

I'd still rather go to a gun store than a shipping office.

John

jimmy

I ask my dealer to take care of the shipping for me. He's okay with doing the shipping, but he really doesn't like to pack stuff. So I do all the packing and addressing myself. Since he's an FFL, he can ship by USPS registered mail, which costs something like $16 and, according to a factory shipping manager I spoke with, is safer than UPS.

BTW, the days are sure gone when I could take a gun to the local UPS customer counter, ship it to the factory for $4.00, and expect it to get there and back without being stolen. :rolleyes:

ronin308

If you gun is still under warranty it might be shipped at Taurus' expense. Call and see if they will give you an account number for payment when you ship it.