Shipping a handgun through FFL???

USPshooter

Can anybody give me some info on what the procedure is for shipping a handgun through an FFL? Do I need to package it up myself or will the FFL holder do that? And, I know that most ship with UPS...now is that something I take care of or does the FFL do that? Sorry for all the questions, I'm wanting to ship and recieve one. Thanks in advance.

OnTheFly

#1...ask your FFL. They will know all the laws and tell you what is included in their fee.

#2...They should set up shipping. As far as packaging, again ask your FFL, but I would think they would have some extra boxes around.

Fly

tulsamal

You didn't really give us enough information. If you are selling the gun and want to ship it, most places don't require an FFL on your end. You ship to an FFL but that's it. The bad thing about doing that is that you end up doing the overnight thing with FedEx or UPS and that's big bucks. (And use the ATF website to check the validity and address of the FFL you are shipping to.)

If you want to ship from an FFL to an FFL, there is only one good thing I can see. A dealer can ship a handgun to another dealer using the US Post Office. Something us regular folks can't do. And it is MUCH cheaper. I've heard of dealers only paying $10-$15 to ship a handgun USPS. So even if he charged you a $20 transfer fee, it could well be cheaper.

Gregg

Casimer

like Tulsamal said.

It really depends on the FFL that you use. Mine will handle packing and shipping under their transaction fee along with any document handling.

You might check-out Gunbroker's FFL database - http://gunbroker.com/User/DealerNetwork.asp for local dealers and their rates.

One thing to be aware of is that some dealers don't want to transact w/ non-FFL sellers. So you might be compelled to work w/ a FFL depending on who the buyer is using. If you're intending to use the same FFL for both transactions (i.e. to receive a firearm as well), they might cut you deal.

I get the idea that the fees are mostly nuisance costs. If you're willing to do some of the work, like packing a/o communicating w/ the buyer/seller to coordinate the process, they might discount their fees a bit.

chris in va

One thing to be aware of is that some dealers don't want to transact w/ non-FFL sellers.

I found this to be the case as well. I bought a rifle from a guy in WA state recently, my FFL wanted a faxed copy of his FFL license in order to receive the gun. Both ends charged a fee for this, in addition to shipping costs.

It's a PITA for sure. Often times that online 'deal' costs more than just buying it from someone locally or in a store.

James K

Member In Memoriam
First, the recipient should check with his local dealer and get a signed copy of his license. Then he or the recipient sends that copy to the shipper. The shipper should make two additional copies, one to send in the package, the other to show/give to the carrier. The original signed copy should be kept to prove that the shipment was legal. That way, the receiving dealer knows the gun is coming, and is looking for it. Many dealers are reluctant to accept shipment, especially a handgun, from a non-dealer because it could be some kind of "sting." If things are worked out in advance, that concern may be alleviated. Still, going through a dealer at the sending end may be best anyway, due to the savings.

If the shipper is not an FFL dealer, manufacturer, or importer, he cannot use the U.S. Mail (USPS). If the shipper is in one of the above categories, he can ship by mail and should enclose a copy of his license with the shipment.

Here is another reason it is a good idea to keep on good terms with your local dealer(s). Buy from them if they have what you want, and they will be willing to do some favors for you when you need them.

Jim

USPshooter

Thanks for all the info guys. What I'm looking to do is trade a pistol for a pistol with a personal owner. We have talked on the phone and agreed to check with our local FFL's to do the transfer. I just didn't know if I actually do the shipping or if they do....i guess its like you guys said, its all up to the FFL holder.

skeeter1

If you want to ship from an FFL to an FFL, there is only one good thing I can see. A dealer can ship a handgun to another dealer using the US Post Office. Something us regular folks can't do.

That's the way my last handgun purchase went, from Nebraska to Ohio. Smooth as could be. The FFLs exchanged whatever paperwork they had to via fax, and the three of us kept in touch all the way by email. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

tulsamal

I found this to be the case as well. I bought a rifle from a guy in WA state recently, my FFL wanted a faxed copy of his FFL license in order to receive the gun. Both ends charged a fee for this, in addition to shipping costs.

It's one thing to use an FFL on both ends if that's what you want to do. But if my receiving FFL told me that I HAD to have it shipped from another FFL, I would be out the door and looking for a new transfer dealer. Plenty of people happy to get $20 for less than five minutes of work. My dealer does the 4473 on the computer now and gets approval in 10 seconds. I usually don't even realize he is entering data and he tells me he is done.

I know, he had to enter the gun into his records when it came in. And then he has to log it out. So are we up to 15 minutes yet? I'll work for $80 an hour!

It's a PITA for sure. Often times that online 'deal' costs more than just buying it from someone locally or in a store.

I have NEVER found a local deal that I couldn't beat online. Every now and then I "forget" and impulse buy a gun in a store. I always end up regretting it. We negotiate the price and I finally decide I can "live with it" even though it still seems high to me. Then I pull out my credit card to pay and "oops, that adds 3%" comes into play. So $20 or so more expensive already. Then they add on $50-$60 sales tax. Just the credit card fee and sales tax sometimes makes the price increment over the next "hundred" and makes a fair deal look like no deal at all.

And that ignores the fact that I USED to buy guns I didn't REALLY want because I couldn't FIND the guns I wanted to buy. If you are seeking classic S&W revolvers at gun stores and pawn shops, it's a "get lucky" proposition. Most of the time they literally don't have one gun you would want to own. Then you see a gun that's decent but not great and they have it marked $250 higher than what it is worth. Or that you can find it for on gunbroker or gunsamerica. Every single gun in my S&W collection has been purchased online. Every one. And I have a pretty darn decent collection for a 45 year old guy with limited income.

I'm glad some of you guys don't like to buy online because that keeps prices lower for me!

Gregg

Link

This may be different in other states, but in Texas, an individual can ship to an FFL. In other words, you don't have to take your gun to your FFL to have them ship to another FFL.

You can pack and ship the gun yourself, as long as you're shipping to the other person's FFL.

I've shipped two rifles through UPS Ground for about $15 each. They don't ask any questions. I even told them it was a firearm, and they didn't freak out. No special fees, etc.

You don't have to overnight, at least not from Texas. I've never tried Fedex, DHL, or USPS, but for $15 for a rifle in a big box, why would I?

computerguysd

If you have an FFL on your end that you TRUST, check with him 1st. Granted I'm in a rural area and have a pretty good relationship with my local FFL but I don't need the hassle of a screwed up interstate transfer... Shoot, my local FFL may even be able to get a better deal than I can if he deals dealer to dealer! :D AGAIN, I've known my local FFL for quite awhile, deal on a fairly regular basis & play golf with him regularly. He's my friend because I like him, but I AM glad my friend has his FFL! :cool:

As far as costs go, as mentioned above, a local transaction will still have markups, fees & taxes that might make an online buy a better deal. OTOH, handling and inspecting the purchase, aftermarket service and repair can be factors to consider.

As far as selling online or out of state, I've gotten good value from working with my local FFL and never considered making a personal transaction out of state, I've only sold firearms I've decided I no longer desire to shoot to local friends and rarely, at that.