Shilen trigger fit

Foxman

I decided to fit a new trigger to my recent buy a 17 rem remington 700. I have lightened up the trigger etc but I dont like the std offering. As it is/ will be used out hunting I didn't want a Jewell trigger (I do have one on another rifle) as they dont like dirty conditions. So after looking around and wanting to keep the safety, I ordered a Shilen trigger from Brownells, it came in the post a couple of days ago and looks fine. Any body fitted these to a Rem 700? any tips or wrinkles?

cntryboy1289

call Shilen and ask them

There should be a number for Shilen somewhere in the package. I would ask them myself. Did it not conatain an instruction sheet?

Foxman

Yes it does have a data sheet and they do say give us a call if you need help. I don't expect a problem just like to have an opinion off of those that have used them.
thanks

cntryboy1289

sorry then

I have never used a Shilen trigger myself, but have used others and most of the time they go right in without a hitch. That's may not be the case with other rifles because most of the aftermarket triggers are designed to go on a model 700. Good luck with it.

Foxman

cntryboy1289. What can I say, The guys at Shilen have certainly got this taped. Fitted it today, I looked at the sears and they have ground and polished them spot on they had set the pull to 12ozs and minimum engagement and overtravel. I fitted it on, relieved the stock to clear the longer adjustment screws and nuts on the weight and over travel adjustment and it worked absolutley right. As it is used for hunting and varmints I set the weight up to 2 1/4 lbs and increased the engagement a fraction too. It now pulls off at dead on 2lb 4oz and there is no creep ( like breaking glass) and tested for accidental discharge ( bolt slam , pull trigger safety on then push off and bumping the stock etc) no problems at all. I will have to zero again tomorrow as it is not free floated, but it wont be far out. I have ordered 2 more to go on the other Rems I have. :D
P.S the std Rem unit is really nasty and the edge of the top sear is rounded so it is impossible to set any where near minimum without it going off when bolt is slammed etc. I could have re ground it a little as I made jig years ago, but it is just as easy to make it right first time. Too many wizz kids taking over good firms and just chasing cost reduction, it is happening everywhere. Youve seen it " highly experienced 26 yr old takes over the running of ACME guns, autos whatever" at 26 I new so much I was dangerous, at 58 I am amazed how little I really know, but I am safer! Lol

cntryboy1289

Thanks for the report

Thanks for the report bacl on how it went. I have never used the Shilen trigger myself, but I may have to give a try. I agree with you about the remington sear, we recently had a discussion on whether or not they can be set lower and still operate safely. Good luck and good shooting.