Shield mag difficulty?

John D

Bought my new 9mm Shield yesterday. I had a difficult time loading both magazines....in fact, I could only get 7 rounds into the 8 round mag. Anyone else had this problem?

PhilBob

Yes, the springs on the Shield mags are very tight. Get a Maglula Uplula mag loader. Some think you are not "manly" enough if you can't load a mag by hand but why not use a tool designed to make it easier? Nothing disgraceful in that as far as I am concerned.

Linegrind

I've had my shield9 for about 8 months now I believe. At first I definately struggled to get all 7 rounds into the 7 round mag. The 8 round mag gave me no issues though. If you happen to be watching tv and have your hands free try unloading and reloading the mags a few times for say half an hour every night. Or even just a couple times and they should loosen up quite a bit. I put about 200 rounds through my Shield when I first bought it and just loading it up for those couple of boxes of ammo was enough to make the springs tolerable.

HistoryJunky

I have the .4o Shield and I thought I wasn't doing something right at first.

After struggling I got the mag loaded full. Left it loaded for awhile and it loosened up enough.

rpseraph

Some think you are not "manly" enough if you can't load a mag by hand but why not use a tool designed to make it easier? Nothing disgraceful in that as far as I am concerned.
[sarcasm]
You should be ashamed of yourself!! Man card -10 points! I never use a mag loader, I also drill holes with butter knives, and split wood with my bare hands!
[/sarcasm]
:rolleyes:

I have heard/experienced the Shield's magazines being VERY stiff and difficult to load. Keep at it, it'll loosen up a bit.

bedbugbilly

+1 to what TailGator says on the Maglula loaders - they are supposed to be just the berries. I have one on my "to buy" list for my 9mm Shield and will order one but I'm finding my Shield mags getting easier to load with use. Currently, I'm using the mag loader that came with my Ruger SR9 - the SR9 mags are double stacks but if you are careful and keep them centered on the Shield single stack mag, it works fine.

WyMark

Mine don't either. But I have the Uplula and it makes loading the mags so fast and easy that I wouldn't want to do without. Lots of things I can do without a tool, but most are just easier with the right tool.