Shield 40....now I really like

dontcatchmany

Several months ago I purchased a Shield 40 and later got a 9mm barrel and mags for it.

I have now put approximately 1,000 rounds combined of the two calibers through it.

I have constantly been disappointed in the overall accuracy and that is shooting at 8 yards only.

No consistency and low and right (I am left handed) and all over the place.

Had not gotten to the point that I wanted to carry it for SD.....until today.

I put in an Apex Carry/Duty Trigger Kit in it and now it shoots like a dream with 40 and 9mm.

200 rounds today through several targets. The red circles in the center of the targets did not last very long...lol!

That trigger made all the difference in the world.

However, with me having troubles prior, I really started digging into grip, arm positions, trigger press and a host of other things.

Today I also shot my FNX 40. My shooting with that had been pretty good but today I really smiled because the things I had changed parlayed into shooting better with the FNX 40.

Got a lot more shooting to do to do for the muscle memory thing and get rid of a couple of flaws.

I have been shooting for many years and was pretty decent until older age and arthritis and other ailments started degrading my shooting. The smaller grip of the Shield and its trigger caused me to realize that I needed to re-evaluate how I shoot and I have learned a lot.

I guess ego an busting gun has taught me something about myself.

A little more practice with the Shield and it will become my primary concealed carry weapon. A week ago I was wondering if I had made a mistake in purchasing it.

An old dog can learn a few new tricks.

Ben

I really like my Shield 40 as well. I never liked my Duty M&P, but the Shield is great. Funny how that works. I bought a Shield PC 9 to keep it company.

Ben

pblanc

I am not crazy about the stock trigger on my 9 mm Shield and have been considering installing the Apex kit. With my pistol, the trigger breaks so hard that I have some difficulty maintaining sight alignment even in dry fire.

PeteH

APEX kits have transformed a 9c and a 40c for me.
Polymer triggers and FSS kits to be exact.
I highly recommend them and could not be happier.
Money well spent.

PeteH

I did 100-024 in both the the 9c and 40c.
The 40c was an older gun with a thumb safety so it required a new sear block and plunger from Speed Shooter for the larger sear plunger.
I have since detuned the 40c as the combo made the trigger pull and reset too light for comfort.

The 9c results are really exceptional to me.

I think I would try the Burwell trigger job on my next 9c as my comfort level with this platform has increased quite a bit.

dontcatchmany

"dontcatchmany..Is this the Carry/Duty Trigger Kit that you installed in your 9mm Shield

Link: https://gnarlygorilla.com/apex-tacti...xoCOA4QAvD_BwE

Also PeteH is this also the kit that you installed?
You guys should list Item #'s with your recommendations...

Thanks,

Mackie244 / Bud "

The Apex SKU is 100-051 for the Shield 9mm and 40 S&W.

The best price I found was on Ebay and it was just shy of $148.00.

Shot another 16 rounds today and I am still grinning after several months of frustration and frowns.

My original trigger was gritty feeling. After research I think it was in the striker safety in the slide, but I replaced all of it. The trigger pull was also lightened and is now much smoother throughout the rear and forward travel of the shot.

Again, night and day difference.

Sorry I did not put the SKU in the original post. I have no knowledge of all the other Apex products so did not think to post it.

Good luck!