Shells Sticking in Model 17

MK11

I purchased a used Model 17 a few years ago that's in nice shape and shoots great but the fired shells really stick in the chambers. It requires a slow, very hard press on the extractor rod and I'm nervous about damaging it. Happens regardless of the type of .22 lr.

This may be a basic question but what's causing this and what's the solution? Is there a special way to clean the chambers of the cylinder?

FlyFish

Model 17s (K-22s) are notorious for having tight chambers that can make extraction difficult. Some have reported that having the chambers polished, either by a gunsmith or by returning the gun to S&W, solves the problem. Others say that you might have less trouble with a different brand of ammo. Either way, you're not alone.

kraigwy

Check the cylender real good. You may have burrs caused by someone dry firing, the firing pin without the softening effect of the rim of the case.

Its a simple fix, just run a 22 RF reamer in the cylender to cut out the burrs.

Also some chambers of the Model 17 & 18s are a little tight. My Model 18 is, and the lube on 22s gum them up. Some brands arnt as bad as others, switch brands may help. I keep my cylenders lightly oiled which helps a lot.

MrBorland

Yes, the chambers are tight. That makes them especially sensitive to crud & other nasties. I clean my chambers fairly regularly, and that seems to help quite a bit.

steveno

the best luck I have had with my M-17 is Winchester powerpoints and even then I use a bore swab every 50 rounds or so. CCI Velociters usually work ok. all other ammo is a waste of time

KyJim

My Model 17 and it's predecessor, the K-22, both have tight chambers. I find a short, sharp rap helps.

My 17-3:

SW_Model17_02-1.jpg

My K-22:

SW_K22_01-1.jpg

lagavulin62

I had a similar problem with my 617 the first 100 rounds or so. I clean and oil after every range trip and after 700 rounds I rarely have the problem now.