Sharps 1874, 45-70Pedersoli

edatmorstr

Just got this, and seeking some very good loading advice.
Thinking of: RCBS 45-405 FN w/lube & gas check, CCi BR2 primer,.06 veg wad, and Pyrodex Pellets and Triple 7 Pellets
(not both together). How pellets of each type ?, Crimp?
Rifle is almost new less than 20 rounds. 32 inch barrel 1/18twist.
Suggestions as to my choices?

TomADC

I don't use pellets in mine but 70 grains of Swiss 1.5, large rifle primer, no gas check, .060 OPW.

Doc Hoy

And...

The 405 seems to be a popular weight.

It was the weight of the original rifle round.

I cast mine and they run 408 to 410 before sizing.

Strafer Gott

Are the Trapdoors and rolling blocks rated for the 500 gr. projectile? I launch the .405's which seem to be plenty of fun. I have a Pedersoli replica rolling block and an H&R Officer Trapdoor, with modern steel, but I do understand the limit's of a design. As light as these arms actually are, the 50 gr. powder charge would be more palatable to recoil sensitive shooters. Forget about milking out the 70 gr charge with a 500gr bullet.

Hawg

I had an original 1884 carbine. I used 500 grain bullets and 70 grains of Pyrodex. Recoil wasn't bad at all but then I'm not recoil sensitive.

TomADC

I load a 535 grain postell bullet with 65 grains of Swiss 1.5 with .06 OPW and 1/8 powder compression, which I do for the 405 gr bullets, BP should have some compression which would cause me some concern using pellets. But then I've never shot pellets in anything!