Sharp = high quality. NOT!

Quartus

Okay, it's a pet peeve of mine. But I'm going to sound off anyway.

I REEEELY tired of hearing people talk about what a good knife they have, and then add a comment about how sharp it is, as if that has something to do with the quality of the knife.

Even an El Cheapo, junk knife can come out of the box reasonably sharp. So what? A good knifeman can put a good edge on mediocre steel. And a used Randall or Loveless might be very dull. So what? Sharpness is a snapshot - a moment in time.

If you want to say something about the quality of the steel, tell us how it takes an edge and then holds an edge.

Navy joe

I am a good steel addict, hate cheap knives with a passion, but never do I forget that sometimes sharp is all that matters, I doubt I'll note the brand of high quality knife when some thug attacks me with a dime store special. Cut is still cut. Same theory applies to getting shot by a Lorcin. I personally wouldn't use one, but hurts still the same.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Well, I have an old Solingen folder my father brought back from WW II. It'll gut two deer and skin one all the way out and get about halfway through the second before it needs some touching up.

Okay?

:), Art

Quartus

That'll work, Art! Nice to have something that works well AND has some history to it. That's one of the things I like about my Sistema.