Shameless Show Off Thread

CajunBass

Did some wheeling and dealing at the local gun show Saturday and came home with this.

Smith & Wesson Model 24-3, 44 Special, 4" barrel, box and papers.

100_0459.jpg

100_0460.jpg

I hope to get it to the range today.

Last edited:

artoo

Nothing wrong with a little pride of ownership on a excellent conversation piece as nice as that one is. :)

Congratulations and happy trails with that hummer.

I have one of the 6.5" 24-3 target models that was done for Lew Horton.

You are absolutely going to LOVE that gun!

A few weeks ago I was picking up my new .32-20 Colt and, sitting there in the case in the gunshop, was a 24-3 3" Lew Horton model.

Some years ago a friend offered me his for $400, and I couldn't afford it. The one in the case was $750 and I just about pulled the trigger on it.

How much did you have to give for it?

Word to the wise...

Trail Boss and the .44 Special are a match made in heaven. That is all I use to load for mine anymore.

CajunBass

Thanks Mike. I already like it. I've got a 29-2 with a four inch barrel and the 24 is both lighter and just feels "trimmer" I guess is the word. The more tapered barrel (and slightly shorter cylinder) makes the difference I'm sure. I had a 25-5 that had the heavy 4" barrel, and try as I could, I just never warmed up to it. Sold it and later on found a 4", 25-13 Mountain Gun. Same thing. That lighter barrel made it feel like a different gun to me.

I understand from SCSW that they didn't make but a few of these, and even fewer with the 4" barrel.

Trail Boss huh....(note to self).

"I understand from SCSW that they didn't make but a few of these, and even fewer with the 4" barrel."

Correct.

Most were 2.5/3" or 6.5".

The 4" versions are quite uncommon. The 624 4" is a lot more common.

aarondhgraham

Nothing wrong with some shameless showing off,,,

I mean we all do it from time to time. ;)

Nice find my friend,,,
Let us know how she shoots.

Aarond

Kreyzhorse

Is the bluing worn off the end of the barrel in a spot or is that just the photo? Either way, that's a damn fine gun. Congratulations are I order.

CajunBass

Is the bluing worn off the end of the barrel in a spot or is that just the photo? Either way, that's a damn fine gun. Congratulations are I order.

Yes, it has a small bit of blue wear a the muzzle, and a turn ring on the cylinder. Made it easy to shoot it. :)

Took it to the range today and put 100 rounds of reloads through it. 200 grain, RNFP lead bullets over Universal powder. Very fun.

I was going to take a picture of my target, but I'd left my phone at home. The range only has seven yard lines so that's all I got to work with (which is plenty for me). After the first couple of cylinders I was just shooting at a hole in the target. Big bullets are good for that. :) Both D/A and S/A triggers were typical N frame Smith.

Mike is right. I'm going to like this one.