Shameless Brag & an Honest Question...

JoeHatley

The attached file shows the shameless brag (at least for me) part. Gotta love those red dot sights!!!

Which leads to my question. I'm having trouble getting the rings to hold the scope securely. Leupold Gilmore LG-1, in Burris mount and rings, on a S&W 625 V-comp. I tighten the rings as far as I dare without stripping them, but after a couple hundered rounds the sights start rotating in the rings.

The ring halfs don't quite touch when the allen screws are tight. I've even applied the Burris friction paper to the rings.

Any suggestions? I'm about to the point of trying a skim coat of contact glue!!

Thanks in advance...

Joe

Attachments

• 625vcomp.jpg
    625vcomp.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 228

Demonvomit

I would use Red loctite if you want it to stay on forever but you might also try blue loctite it will come off way easier but might hold up so try both

Later

dewey

they should NOT BE ALLOWED to sell Red loctite

to gun geeks. A guy at a gun shop used it when he put a scope on a S&W M627 and a week later I wanted to take it off. I had to get a guy with a
tourch ( and not just any-'ole one, mind you ) to
carefully heat up the top strap. REMBER: BLUE ONLY
....dewey

capbuster

A few years back,Ross Seyfried mentioned a product he used for securing scopes on heavy recoiling rifles. I cant remember the name but it was used by electicians to bond up conduit. My memory is fussy but I do remember the article. Good luck.

Mal H

Staff
Joe - I wonder if you really are tightening the screws enough. You say you tighten them as far as you dare. Will they tighten even more if you dared or are they as tight as humanly possible using the wrench supplied with the Burris ring set? The ring manufacturers usually supply a wrench in the correct length to prevent overtightening by hand as long as you don't use any other tools to tighten the screws.

You might also try the old hammer trick on them. After getting the screws really snug and with the wrench still in the screw head, hit the wrench at the ell with a small hammer. Or you can use a steel punch with an end the same size as the screw head. (Be sure to wrap some cloth or leather around the scope to prevent marring if you miss.) Then try to tighten the screw some more.

David Howard

There is a product sold to coat handles of tools and other object that can be applied very thin. Also G-E latex calk would probably work. It comes in 2 different versions, the more expensive has a cap so you can seal the tube back up, it'll keep for a couple of weeks if it isn't to old. After it dries it is easy to rub off if it doesn't work. I used it to glue an emblem back onto a plaque once, probably has many uses.

JoeHatley

Mal,

Thanks for the hammer hint, I'll give it a try. The screws are staying tight, I just don't think I'm getting them tight enough.

Probably past experience with rounded out allen heads is making me a little to cautious.

Joe

Mal H

Staff
I completely understand the caution. But one thing about scope screws is that they are usually tougher than your average set screws. They are higher quality steel and are usually 6-40 or 8-40 or better so they can take more torque than lesser screws. Always be sure your wrench is fully seated in the screw head.

David Howard

Concerning my earlier post, I didn't mean to apply compound or calk to threads of screws but inside the rings to give them some grip.

Zander

Sounds like you need to work on the rings themselves. Have you tried lapping the inside diameter to make sure they are concentric?

Try a little black acrylic caulk between rings and scope...after you've used blue Loc-Tite on the screws, of course. :)

Chris McDermott

One thing to try that hasn't been mentioned yet is adding a third ring to your setup. It looks like your red-dot scope is fairly short, but it might still be possible. This is more often done to handle the recoil of a 454 Casull, but I don't see why you can't give it a try.

JoeHatley

JohnK,

That's a S&W Performance Center 625 V-Comp in .45 acp. Shot indoors at 25 yards, two hand hold offhand, single action. 18 shots in about 40 seconds. Reloads of 200 grain SWC cast bullets, 4.5 grains Bullseye, Federal 150 primers, range brass, with a heavy roll crimp.

I was trying to impress the fella on the next shooting lane, who kept peeking around the lane divider to see what I was shooting. Ended up surprising myself. I already knew the gun and my reloads were accurate, I was just surprised how much better I shot with the red dot sight.

Zander,

I suspect you are correct and the rings need lapping. I have some lapping compound, but I'll have to check Brownell's and see if they have a 1" rod to put it on.

In the meantime, I've got nothing to loose by trying some sort to caulk. If it doesn't work, I'm only back where I started.

Thanks folks...

Joe

JohnK

That's some darn good shooting then Joe, better than I would do offhand :)

The dot sights help according to a buddy on a professional shooting team, but from what he says it won't make a bad shooter better, but mainly lets people stay competitive longer - after age starts effecting the eyes making it harder to focus on iron sights.

Mal H

Staff
Zander brings up a good point and reminds me of another. It is very important that the rings are concentric, but if they are really off then no amount of lapping will correct it. I purchased a Wheeler Alignment Kit a few years ago and it was a real eye opener as to the ring concentricity problem. They not only have the lapping bar and compound, but more importantly they have 2 shorter 1" bars that you tighten into each of the rings with the ends very close but not touching. You can then adjust the mounts with either the built in adj mechanism or with shims so the bars are in perfect alignment and therefore the rings are concentric. Then you can lap the rings to "fine tune" them. After seeing how far off one set of rings were on one rifle, I redid all my scopes on rifles and handguns. Not one was truly in alignment before I started. I would highly recommend a kit like that for anyone who mounts their own scopes.

PKAY

Sheesh!! That's one he**uva ragged hole for 25 yds., Joe! Excellent. I can't do that well with my CQB; gotta be the scope, right? You da man!