Several Questions

Big Yac

I have been reloading for a good time now but have recently tried something new. I reload for a .454 Casull and have been trying the 395gr bullets from Cast Performance. Anyone have any experience with these? Anyways, my first batch at just a shade over the minimum load had bullets jumping the crimp on me and locking up the cylinder. Mind you, this is the same crimp setting as I use for my 300gr XTPs and none of them have ever jumped crimp. To get on with my question, lastnight I loaded up some of the 395gr bullets with a max charge (22gr which I hand measured each) of Ramshot Enforcer. I've never loaded max loads and so to make sure these didnt jump crimp I cranked down on the crimp some more. My question is, will a tight crimp like this raise pressures to a dangerous level? Can I keep this tighter crimp with my 300gr XTPS also or will I have to lighten it a bit? Does anyone have any experience with the 395gr bullet using Enforcer or 296?

I also got a 357 and am wondering whats a good load using the 125gr bullets and either Blue Dot, 296, Enforcer, or Long Shot. Thanks.

rwilson452

I don't load for the rounds you ask about but generally speaking a tighter crimp should not change the peak pressure much. it will change the curve. it will peak faster. This will also cause it to burn cleaner. as always start at the start load and work up. I would be interested in the result.

Big Yac

One other thing I noticed. The load called for a Federal 210 primer but thats a large rifle primer. The 454 Casull takes a small rifle primer. I put a small rifle primer in my load...again a max load...should I pull the bullets?

Shoney

It is never a good idea to start out any new bullet with a max load!!!!!!!!!! You should start at min and work up.

What load data gives the Federal 210 as the primer to use? It has to be a mistake.

All my data indicates Small Rifle Primer. Some are using regular small rifle, magnum small rifle, or Bench Rest small rifle. If you used a regular small rifle primer, you should be fine.
http://www.wwpowder.com/data/handgun/454cas.php

If you are lightly crimping on the cannelure of the XTP, that will keep the bullet from sliding forward. Lead boolits requires a modest roll crimp to keep them in place.

Big Yac

Ramshot emailed me back and said Id be fine and that yes it was a misprint. The WSR primer is what is called for.