Seven vs. 700 Mountain/ 260 vs 7mm08

Smith66

Fellow Rifle Shooters,
I am so terribly conflicted. I've been a loyal (almost exclusive) Winchester 70 30-06 guy since I turned 15. I know that I would never really need a different setup for whitetails/mulies/pronghorn, but I grown weary of carrying a rifle that scales at 9.6 lbs (w/o a bipod!) So a lighter rifle is in order. I can't afford a custom rifle right now, or a Kimber 84M/L for that matter. Or a Remington 700 Ti. I believe I've narrowed down my choices for a new rifle to Remington 700 Mountain and Remington Seven. I also want to go to a short action chambering. I've narrowed the choices there to either 260 or 7mm-08. Although I am new to handloading, I'm determined to use that to my advantage.
So I've ended up at these four choices....and I am at a complete inpass. I have no firsthand experience with either of these rifles or calibers, and even though I've done plenty of research on the subjects, I don't know which way to go. Can anyone help me?? Please, anyone with firsthand experience with these rifles/calibers let me know what your opinions are!!
Thanks for your help!
Smith66

warbirdlover

If you're hunting whitetails I'd go with the 7. If you're going to shoot longer range I'd go with the 700 (longer barrel). Both should be good shooters based on the 700 I just bought.

.260 Rem if you reload. I reloaded for the 7mm=08 and couldn't (safely) get anymore out of it then factory loads. I could get it to group better is about all.

20thru45

Personally, I'd go .308; not what you asked for but very close to the 06 you've always loved.

Advantages include cheaper, better selection of ammo vs 7.08 and .260. Flat enough trajectory for hunting and bigger bullets can be used in the 3.08. Switch to Barnes ttsx 130 or 150 grain and you've got your old 06 leaner and very hard hitting.

jmr40

Neither of those choices are much lighter than your current rifle, nor much less expensive than a Kimber. I've seen used Kimbers for under $800.

If I wanted a light rifle on a budget I'd buy a Marlin XS-7 at 6.25 lbs and put a Leupold scope on it in lightweight rings. And keep saving until you can get a truly lightweight.

Another good choice is the Tikka T-3.

OR,

You could do what I did. Spend $500 on a McMillan Edge stock for the Winchester. Mine weighs 7.5 lbs with a Leupold Scope in Talley lightweight rings. Instead of buying a new rifle, put the money in the one you have, and end up with a semi-custom in a rifle that is already proven for less money than buying a new rifle.

PawPaw

I once had a Model 7 in 7mm-08 and loved that little rifle. It shot so consistently with green box Remington 140 grain core-lokt that I never even reloaded for it. A local shop bought a case of that ammo and nobody else locally was using the caliber, so I was able to buy the whole case at a very attractive price.

I shot it for several years and lost it in the financial dynamics that come with a divorce.

My maudlin reminisce aside, I've also recently become acquainted with the .260 Remington. My sister-in-law shoots one for whitetail deer and has taken two with it. Her husband loads it with the 120 Nosler Ballistic Tip and she takes neck shots. Both of her deer last year were DRT. It's a great little cartridge.

I can understand being conflicted. Both of those cartridges are fine for light game.

sir_n0thing

I can't comment on either of the choices. I'm not a big Remington fan, especially with all their "cost cutting" as of late effecting quality (apparently).
I do however own a Tikka T3 Lite that fits exactly what it sounds like you are after.
Very light, very easy handling. Very accurate. The smoothest bolt I've ever personally encountered and a factory trigger that is second to none.

I have owned neither 7mm08 or .260, so can't comment there, but in my own opinion I would lean towards 7mm08 simply due to the easy access and reasonable cost of factory ammo and components. That said, the .260 is an intriguing cartridge. Definitely would want to handload though.

warbirdlover

One other rifle you might want to consider is the Browning X-Bolt Micro-Hunter. I had the equivalent years ago ... The A-Bolt Micro Medallion. Only that was wood stock, engraved and just flat out beautiful. And it was light. It was also in 7mm-08. The new X-Bolt Micro-Hunter looks very nice. At 6 lbs. 2 oz. it would stay light if you put a light scope on it with aluminum mounts.

http://www.browning.com/products/ca...e_id=215&content=x-bolt-micro-hunter-firearms

GeauxTide

Having two rifles in 260 and a 6.5-06, I heartily recommend the 260. Think of the 260 as being able to cover the 243 to 7mm-08 ground. With 120s in my Ruger Compact, it is still very gentle on the shoulder.

jimbob86

Either will kill whitetail.

A 24" barrel allows more flexibility in powder chice than a 22" .... slower powders for max velocities....

Picher

I was going to suggest a light, stiff synthetic stock for your Mod. 70 also.

Regarding the Rem 7, it's a very accurate rifle, though, as someone said, the barrel gives up a fair bit of velocity. The factory synthetic stock is a bit weak and prone to splitting at the front screw, if over-torqued. I repaired and pillar-bedded a used one for a neighbor and it shot a perfect 3-petal cloverleaf for me with Core-Locts at 100 yards, the first time we shot it. It apparently liked that factory round better than the reloads I put together.

Needless to say, the neighbor lady is thrilled with the rifle, but 200 yards is a long shot for her.

MOshooter65202

I purchased a deer rifle for my son when he was 10 years old,that has been over 12 years ago.
At that time the 260 was a very new cartridge and being a big 7mm fan 7 rem mag. and .280 rem. I purchased a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in the 7mm-08 for him.The rifle has been a very accurate and reliable rifle and has taken many whitetail from 30 yards out past 300 yards.
I also reload everything I shoot and since loading for my 7mm mag. and Dads .280 we had a lot of 7mm bullets to choose from to work up some very accurate loads for the 7mm-08 in the Rem Mountain Rifle

I am sure either the 260 or 7mm-08 will make a fine hunting cartridge

LSnSC

I have a Mountain Rifle in .270 ( my youngest has claimed it) and an older Model 7 in .308 with the 18.5 inch barrel. I believe the newer models have a 20" barrel. The Mountain Rifles have 22" tubes.No difference in carrying either, both are a good bit lighter than a standard sporter. The Seven's heavier profiled barrel doesn't heat up as fast and wander as the Mt Rifles thinner barrel. The Mountain rifle was a littler more picky about which loads it liked. Both are more than accurate enough for their intended purpose. The Mountain Rifle is a little more pleasing to my eye, but the Model 7 is my go to hunting rifle. I believe you would be more than happy with either.

T-CAIN

I own a Tikka T3 in 300 wsm and it is about as light as you would want for a hunting rifle. I love this gun. Very accurate and a hard hitter, im sure you could find it in the calibers your looking for.

oneoldsap

Mod. 7 7mm-08

:) I have a Stainless/Synthetic Mod. 7 in 7mm-08 that I have used on Deer for the past 15 years or so ! I know there is no such thing as a magic rifle but this one seems to be close to it . I shoot the Speer 145 and W-760 loaded to the upper end of Speers Load data ! Every thing that I have pointed this rifle at has died instantly or real close to instantly ! I did have to shoot one Deer twice but that was my fault ,he never took another step , but I hit him high . The Mountain Rifle gives you 2" of barrel length over the 20" Mod. 7 and weighs about a quarter pound more . You can't go wrong with either ! The 7mm-08 is here to stay , the verdict is still out on the .260 ! The 7mm-08 can handle heavier bullets when the need arises where as the 260 pretty much tops out at 140 Gr. ! IMHO !