Setting up for 38 and 357

mapsjanhere

My wife's collection of 38 special and 357 mag brass is starting to scream at me "reload us", but I dread having to do that on my single stage rifle brass press. I'm looking at either a Lee Classic with both a 38 and a 357 disc, or a Redding T7 where I can use the same sizer die and just need the 3 bell, set, crimp dies set at the right height for the 2 different loads, no changing of the 7 hole turret required. Any suggestion on which is the more practical solution (I'm priming and powder filling out of the press, so that's not a criterion).
I'd also appreciate powder recommendation for loads that fill the brass about 75%, so you can see the powder easily and notice double loads due to overflow).

reloader28

Make sure you get the dies that say 357/38spl. I got a set of 357 dies with a pistol one time that were only 357 and I couldnt load 38 without new dies. You'll only get 1 washer with it, but you might be able buy another washer for a turret press, or use one from 44 mag/44spl if you load for that.

I have no load recomendations as I only shoot cast loads.

Sport45

Give the Lee Classic Cast a good look. I have one that I use for rifle and some of my lesser used handgun rounds. Without the auto-index installed it's a great single stage press with quick dies changes. I have a of turrets set up with two 2-die sets for rifle and some with 3 or 4-die handgun sets. My universal decripming die resides with one of the 3-die sets.

I charge cases off the press using a Lyman 55, Uniflow, or Lee powder measure, depending on the powder and charge size.

The "universal" type load blocks work okay for rimmed handgun cartridges.

Lost Sheep

Breech Lock Classic Cast, not Classic Cast

mapsjanhere, Sport45's suggestion of the Lee Classic Cast is ok, but what fits your described loading style even better is the Lee Breech Lock Classic Cast. It is a full O-frame press indistinguishable from the Classic Cast from a distance, but it has interchangeable bushings that quickly lock into the press. If you get several bushings (one for each die) you You can change dies with a short rotation of the bushing and leave each die set up and adjusted permanently in its own bushing.

Lee Classic Cast (simple single stage press, no bushing, no ring, no turret)

Lee Breech Lock Classic Cast (currently {Oct 12, 2010} shown on their home page; http://www.leeprecision.com/)

Lee Deluxe Turret with or without auto-indexing (available with 3-hole turret head or 4-hole turret head which, unfortunately are not quickly interchangeable. You have to change the turret ring, too, apparently.)

Lee Classic Cast Turret with or without auto-indexing.

Good luck

Lost Sheep

mapsjanhere

Thanks for the comments. I do use a Lee single stage with the interchangeable bushings for my rifle loading, and I plan on using two of the four piece Lee die sets for the 38 and 357 once set up in a turret. I just need help deciding which of the two presses (Lee or Redding) will be more appropriate for loading probably 250 brass at a time.

howlnmad

The Lee turret press will do everything you want you to do and at a lot less money. You'll find that you'll even stsrt using it with rifle cartridges.

89blazin

I'd also appreciate powder recommendation for loads that fill the brass about 75%, so you can see the powder easily and notice double loads due to overflow).

Unique is my recommendation.

oneounceload

I have been using a RCBS single stage for metallic for over 30 years - I reload 38, 9, 357, etc in batches - deprime/resize a bunch, flare and reprime, the powder and bullet seating - this lets me do a double check on powder levels as 50 cases are sitting in the loading block at one time - I used to use a Dillon at one time - too many unreliable primer drops for me and the small amount of pistol powder didn't weigh consistently.....it may be slow, but I have NEVER had an issue with any of my reloads due to no primer, powder drops inconsistent, etc.....

Just something to consider

tac_driver

LCT with 38/357 die set. 250 rounds will take you about one and a half hours each caliber (get some washers from hardware store to set dies for 357 to proper height). Recommend Kempfs with pro upgrade. This set up should cost you around 150.00.

mbopp

I picked up a used Lyman 6-station press to complement my RockChucker. I have a carbide 38/357 die in it, and separate 38 / 357 expander and crimp dies (5 dies total.) Not as fast as a progressive but I don't have to fool around with washer spacers and changing dies. Unique is a bit dirty, still my all-around powder, but you can double-charge a case. I use a load block, charge 50 cases at a time, and visually inspect them under a good light before seating a bullet.

Now I have to get another turret head for the 44......45.....40.....

SIGSHR

I found investing in separate bullet seating dies for the various shell lengths and bullet combos was worthwhile, saving all the aggravation from trying to adjust for different case lengths and bullet configurations. I had one for 38 WCs, one for 357 SWCs, another for 357 JHPs.

Taroman

I have loaded 38 for many years and just recently purchased a .357 revolver. I use a Lee Classic Turret press. Adjusting dies up and down for 38 and .357 is still a major PITA. So, I sucked it up and ordered a .38 3-die set and another turret. Now changeover will b ejust a drop in and go proposition.