setback never knew about it

tango3065

I use 180gr in my new 40cal CZ and I have chambered and hand cycled a couple full mags 3 or 4 times, you think these rounds are ok?

Can I just sit them up on a flat surface and compare them to check for setback?

Also the rounds are WWB JHP and each one shows the little crimp notches on the actual bullet just before the end of the casing, so couldn't I just look to make sure all the crimp notches are still showing and they haven't been pushed into the casing?

BTW this is a problem I have never heard of and I am glad I read a post that mentioned it and done more research on setback so now I know that if I chamber a round I leave it in there or shoot it, especially on a 40 cal from what I read.

JohnKSa

Administrator
It depends on the ammo.

If you can see a noticeable decrease in the length of the ammo compared to a brand new round it's probably not a good idea to shoot it--if you can't it's almost certainly safe.

How many times you can chamber a round without setback depends on a lot of things--sometimes one chambering is all that's advised, but that's not what I would expect in general.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Set up the round you want to check with two new rounds--one on either side. Put a ruler over the top of the three rounds. You should be able to tell if the middle one is shorter. If it's noticeably shorter then you may want to save that round for a friend who owns a Ruger. ;)

My guess is that all of your rounds are going to be fine.

deadmarsh

If they are slightly shorter, shoot 'em up...if you're paranoid, buy an impact bullet puller and get them back into spec. A slight set-back isn't dangerous to most modern firearms, especially the all-steel versions...

Good Luck:

Dead