set on a Rem 700.. but which one?

Driveout02

There are just so many options for the 700.. this will be my first "step-up" rifle (I've owned .22s and .22mags in the past, but need to move up). I live in Nebraska, so I'm torn between the .270 and .30-06 calibers (good for the medium sized game here), and have no idea about the plethora of different models. What would you guys suggest?
Thanks!
~Jake.

BusGunner007

"As a Remington enthusiast, I would..."

You HAD to ask! :D

Seriously, for a nice wood/blue rifle, no frills --- the CDL in either '06 or 7mm Rem.Mag. ( my favorite ).
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_CDL_specs.asp
lgsil_700cdl.jpg

My choice would be:
For the money, ammo and price --- the SPS Tactical in .308 ( probably the best all-around choice, especially considering the political climate... )
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/premier_dealer_exclusives/model_700_SPS.asp
http://www.gunreports.com/news/long_guns/Remington-Tactical-Rifle_362-1.html
http://www.snipercentral.com/spstactical.htm READ THIS!
spst4.jpg

I really do like the 700.

Last edited:

T. O'Heir

They're all the same rifle made with different materials(SS vs not SS), finishes and stock materials.
A .30-06 is more versatile than a .270, due to the available bullet weights. 110's to 220's. .270's go to 150 grains. Not by much though.
However, the .30-06 can deal with big bears with the right bullet. A .270 cannot. I know big bears aren't exactly common in Nebraska. You could win a lottery and decide to come North for a Grizzly hunt. Or get invited to hunt buffalo on a private ranch.
I'd go with a BDL in .30-06 just because it comes with iron sights. Having iron sights gives you an instant back up should your scope be damaged. Simple firearms tend to work best.
When you get that far, think in terms of 165 grain hunting bullets. The .30-06 loves 'em and they'll kill any game you care to hunt with no fuss.

garyhan

To my mind, the CDL is by far the best looking and feeling of the 700's. Mine is in .30-06 and mounts a 3-9x Leupold. It is a rifle I would feel confident hunting any North American game with. Groups under 1 inch consistently and has the least apparent kick of any .30-06 I have shot.

gary

globemaster3

Driveout, instead of us suggesting different models, because you're right, there is a plethora, how about this. Sit down and list the things you want in a rifle. Nice wood, good wood, or synthetic? Stainlesss, blued, or matte? What length barrel? Do you want iron sights? Do you want a carbine version? Answer these questions and it will narrow the field not to mention identify a rifle you will personally be happy with.

I've owned a BDL in .308 for 19 years or so now. I cannot count the rounds put through it, but it's always been a nice gun to shoot. Short of putting a later model BDL stock on it (the original was rather narrow on the front, later models are a little thicker and more comfortable in my hands and stable on the bag) and taking off the iron sights, I've left it alone in terms of gunsmithing.

Both calibers you selected would work well for the open shooting NE wil offer, but if there is any possibility of you taking larger stuff, I agree with the above advice on the 30-06.

Driveout02

what I'm thinking..

A nicely finished stock is a plus, but a simple satin finish isn't a problem, either. The idea of iron sights is a good one, but I saw the nicer finished CDL doesn't come with the iron sights. So what's more important, iron sights, or a luxurious wood finish? I can't decide.

Also, I've heard time and time again that the .30-06 is the most versatile caliber, but talking to the few hunters I know personally here in Nebraska, they say .270 will more than do the trick, and that .30-06 isn't worth the extra recoil (one even told me .30-06 had less of a flat trajectory- any comments on that?)

I'm not against synthetic stocks (especially with the jumps in humidity/temperature in the midwest), and the SPS Buckmasters with the Hardwoods camouflage isn't shabby- but I haven't seen any of those in the stores around here. Are they hard to come by?

Thanks again.
~Jake.

ndking1126

experiences with my 700 ADL in 30-06..

Iron sights:
I took mine off. Less weight and my research brought me to the conclusion that the front sight (especially) decreases accuracy of the gun because it interferes with the "wobble" of the barrel. ("Wobble" was the word one place used.. I thought it was funny and didn't forget it.) This isn't to hard to believe, because you'll never see the most accurate, out of the box rifles come with sights. The previous poster is right though, if the scope messes up, you've got a backup.

.270 vs .30-06:
It sounds like you don't have plans to hunt larger game, so either one will be fine. I would choose which ever caliber is cheaper to shoot. Yes the .270 has less recoil. When it comes to trajectory, you could check a ballistics chart. Remington has them for all their ammo. Without doing any research, I would have no problem guessing the lighter bullet of the .270 would have the flatter trajectory.

Model:
If I was going to buy one today, I would probably go with the SPS tactical. Seems to be the best all around value for durability, accuracy and value. Asthetics aren't that imporant to me for a rifle. My only other recommendation is to pick your caliber first and then start looking at the models--not all models are offered in all calibers.

Good luck!

NineInchNails

Check out your local Dick's Sporting Goods store if you have one near you. They usually have the 700s in stock and their prices are usually excellent. They won't necesarilly carry all variations, but they may have one for your.

My local store carried the Varmint, some stainless versions, with wood stock, etc...

taylorce1

I took mine off. Less weight and my research brought me to the conclusion that the front sight (especially) decreases accuracy of the gun because it interferes with the "wobble" of the barrel. ("Wobble" was the word one place used.. I thought it was funny and didn't forget it.) This isn't to hard to believe, because you'll never see the most accurate, out of the box rifles come with sights.

Just because a rifle has "Iron Sights" on it doesn't mean it can't be as accurate as any of the out of the box rifles you mention. The sights will have a very minimal impact on barrel harmonics. The last years of the ADL production didn't have what I'd call a quality sight on it. It saves manufactruing costs not to have to put quality sights on a rifle, because the majority of hunters these days will add optics to thier rifles.

A good aperature sight in the hands of the right shooter is as capable as any scope of producing extreme accuracy. Shooting with "Irons" is just becoming a lost art for hunting even though most game is taken within distances that most people could shoot accurately with a rough old buckhorn sight and a little bit of practice.

Sights could be added to any rifle anyway so if it doesn't have them I wouldn't worry about it anyway. Just if you decide to add sights to a rifle make sure you buy a good set that has good adjustments. I like the aperature sights that will mount to the scope base if I need to remove my scope. Haven't had a scope fail me yet on a hunting trip though as the quality of optics is pretty darn good these days.

HOGGHEAD

Remington

30-06 =definitely IMO.

If you take your time you should be able to find a great used BDL or ADL for a good price. There are a lot of them available. If you are only going to have one rifle then I would want open sights for a back up. Accuracy is important. But Remington's are capable of MOA accuracy or close to it out of the box. With a little extra work they will even shoot better. So do not concern yourself with accuracy. Fnd the one you like, and it will last you your life time.

Ireally like the way the new CDL looks, and I also like the XCR. Either one of those would be a great hunting rifle. Tom.

Picher

I've had both Remington 700s; a blue BDL in .30-06 and a Stainless Laminated that now sports an HS Precision Sendero takeoff.

I handload the .270 Win to near 7mm Mag velocities and it's a proven deer rifle at ranges beyond 400 yards. The .30-06 is doing well for my son and has killed some nice deer at ranges over 300.

I have no qualms recommending the .30-06 to anyone for almost anything. The .270 Win is more of a "rifleman's rifle" that IMHO takes just a bit more care in bullet placement, but makes up for it in trajectory flatness...when handloaded properly.

Picher

King Ghidora

I've had my eye on a used Sendero in 7mm with some great optics on it (not sure of the model but it's Nikon and very powerful). They only want $750 for the set. I tried to talk them down on it but they weren't even slightly interested in that. Of course the extra weight on a gun that's already heavy isn't for everyone. It's probably not the best hunting gun. But short of shelling out for a M1A it's going to be hard to beat for sheer accuracy. I've also been looking at a new Savage in '06 with a scope (not a great scope though) for under $400 at Wally World. They are accurate but I'd be surprised if they are as accurate as the Sendero.

It's hard to go wrong with any 700 series really. 30.06 is a great choice for caliber but I haven't found a great deal on one of those used. I'm going to have to do some fast talking to convince my wife that I need another gun so soon after buying two others especially if it costs $750. That Savage is looking better and better. :)

BIGR

If you want one that is almost weather proof get the Remington Model 700 in XCR. Its costly but it should last a long time.

Swampghost

I bought the 700 SPS in .243 and topped it off with a Nikon Buckmaster 3X9X50. It shoots better than I can, the recoil is low, ammo is pretty cheap and it's just plain fun to shoot. It'll also drop most anything that I'll run into in SoFL with a boiler room hit, BIG hogs will require a head shot which shouldn't be much of a problem.