Service Six-Speed Six

Sgt127

Ok...I can't figure out the difference. I just picked up a Ruger Police Service Six in .38 spec. Ex NYPD gun. Neat gun. Got me to looking through some old Shooters Bibles and the like.

What is the difference between the Police Service Six and the Speed Six?

I find them both available in .38 and .357.
Both in Blue or Stainless.
Both have fixed sights.
The Police Service Six is available in the 2 3/4 Barrel as is the Speed Six.
And, they look an awful lot alike, well, actually, they look the same unless I'm missing some very small subtle difference. The security Six has fixed sights, I got that...but....

For the life of me, I can't figure out the difference. Anybody that could clear this up for me? Many thanks.

9x19

The Speed Six has a slightly rounder back strap... Rugers version of a Round Butt frame... they only came in 2 3/4" bbl as I recall, while the Police Service Six came with the normal square butt and 4" barrels.

I'd not be surprised to find that variations to the above exist...

boa2

9x19:

You are correct on all counts, regarding the differences between the Speed Six and the Service Six-EXCEPT, the barrel length! The Speed Six was offered in both the 2-3/4" AND in the 4" barrel length! AND, believe it or not, the Service Six was also offered in the 2-3/4" and in the 4" barrel length! So the only real difference between the Service Six and the Speed Six, is as you had stated(Regarding the slightly rounded(Bottom rear portion of the backstrap, on the Speed Six))whereas the Service six had the square butt(The same as for the Security Six)! It is true, that the Service Six, was most commonly seen in the 4" barrel length and the Speed Six, was most commonly seen in the 2-3/4" barrel length!

One other note, regarding the Security Six: In the beginning(Before Ruger had renamed the early, "Fixed" sighted Security Six, the Service Six, the Security Six was offered in both the "Fixed" and in adjustable sights! However, after the Service Six came into being, all of the Security Sixes, were only produced in normal production, in the adjustable sighted model! Any deviation from this, only came via special contracts by Ruger to foreign Countries!

Last edited: