Serrating Front Sight Blade on Vaquero

Wendyj

I was shooting stainless Vaquero in bright sun today and was having a hard time keeping front sight in focus. Almost blinding. A shooter next to me said he had one at home that he had our local gunsmith serrate the front blade and it cured the issue for him. Anyone ever had this done? I called our gunsmith and that was his suggestion also. Only $20.00 to get done but gun is new and I'd like some opinions on this.

Pathfinder45

Well, Wendyj, it all depends on how nice and pristine you want to maintain your revolver. I also have a stainless Vaquero. It's the only revolver I own at this time. I've had it for nearly 20 years and I use it virtually every time I shoot. It's main purpose for me is a wilderness carry gun with the capability to take down perhaps a Bear or whatever.... This gun looks pretty darn good for the hard use and abuse I require of it. But I modified the front sight myself with a file, silver-solder and a very short section of brass rod so that as it is sighted it appears to be a round bead on top, all filed to come out of the holster without snagging, and the filing was left crudely serrated to be filled with fingernail polish. I'm no gunsmith, and that's obvious if you look at my sight job, but it's functional, rugged, and works for me. I suggest that having you gunsmith serrate it professionally for 20 bucks is a bargain and will look nicer than what I've done to mine. I would guess that I have put several thousand rounds through mine. I have owned the Blackhawk version with adjustable sights, but I actually prefer the Vaquero. However, as it comes, the front sight requires modification to sight in for one particular bullet weight, and also just to see it in variable light conditions. Serrate it, AND PAINT it.

Pathfinder45

Flat black paint works well on paper targets at the range in good lighting. However, in the woods or field it can be hard to pick out when the background interferes with it. I much prefer orange fluorescent topped with clear fingernail polish for durability.

dahermit

Flat black paint works well on paper targets at the range in good lighting. However, in the woods or field it can be hard to pick out when the background interferes with it. I much prefer orange fluorescent topped with clear fingernail polish for durability.
Sometimes one must adapt the front sight color to the intended target and conditions. Despite the fact that it sounds counterintuitive, some years ago, when hunting out of a tree blind with deep snow on the ground, I discovered that in the twilight, a dark front sight on a dark, Winter coat Michigan deer, would not show-up well. Surprisingly, I found that a flat white spray painted, front sight stood-out on their dark bodies. The last deer I took (I am old now and no longer hunt), was with a six-inch .41 Magnum with the front sight spray-painted flat White.

44 AMP

Staff
Use a sharpie marker. I do on all my stainless sights. darkens the sight, cheap and easy to touch up, or remove.

Howdy

Back when I was shooting a pair of Stainless Vaqueros in CAS I always kept a Sharpie handy in my cart. Just blackening the rear of the sight cut down on the glare for me and allowed me to hit more targets.

Pahoo

$20.00 is not out of line

Only $20.00 to get done but gun is new and I'd like some opinions on this
If he can do a good job, $20.00 is not out of line and it's done and really, not too many folks would know the difference. Also, in reality, how often does it present a problem ..... :confused:

I have also dulled these reflections with scotch bright or every cloth but you have to be careful doing so. ..... :)

Good luck and;
Be Safe !!!

T. O'Heir

Lotta the 'blinding' is from the thing being polished SS. Can of Testors Dullcote, or the like, $5.46 at Wally World, will fix it. It's a lacquer made for making shiney model paint flat.
You'll probably want the Sharpie too though.

Jim Watson

A guy here had his shiny Vaqueros partly bead blasted to dull glare from the sight blade and top strap.

Serration will help but should be very fine for best looks.

Old Stony

You can pick up a checkering file from Brownells and do the job yourself in a few minutes. Not a big deal and you will have the file left over for the next time you want to checker something..

buck460XVR

I also remember "Sgt. York" used to "spit" on his front sight to reflect more light so he could see it better.

I must be gettin' old.:(

TomADC

Itty bitty carbide burners.

Used to use a carbide minors lamp or even a metal 35 mm film can with tiny hole punched in the lid, drop a few carbide rocks in the can either a couple of drops of water or spit into the can, screw lid on and light the gas worked just fine.

briandg

I'm kind of assuming that it isn't going to be hard steel. Mount the pistol in a vise. take a bit of heavy sand paper, hold it over the blade of the sight where you want it dulled, take a tack hammer and tap the paper on the part that you want stippled. I just tried it on a piece of nickel silver and it worked.