Seriously bad news....

Quartus

I just got a call today. My best friend, who's a gunsmith in S Kali, called to tell me about the Systema .45 I asked him to get for me.

It came in. And he got a look at it. <sigh>

I had been planning on doing quite a bit of work to it. I had heard that they are solid 1911s, pure Colt that just happens to be made for the Argentinian govt. I was going to have the front strap checkered, beavertail, action, sights, nice wood grips, re-blued, the works. A nice carry gun with a touch of history to it. My buddy has worked on a couple of dozen of these, and had nothing but good to say about them.

But when he saw the fit and finish on this one, and the overall condition it's in, he knew my plans were in serious trouble. :(

It's such a pristine, gorgeous, perfect example of pre-war Colt that it would be sacrilege to mess with it! :D

For $352 out the door! <REEEELYBIGGRIN>

So now what do I do? :eek:

C.R.Sam

Just gonna have to order another one.....and hope it isn't in such good shape. :)

Sam....it usually works t'other way round for me.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Some plans hurt less when they fall apart than others.

Would it pain you too much to leave it dead stock and shop for a different donor gun? ;)

Jim V

Anone else have the feeling that the Captain is about to fall out of his chair just thinking about his pistola?

Post a picture. :p

aerod1

Maybe if I take off your hands, you would feel better. Then you would be free to try again. Just trying to help. :)
Jim Hall

johnwill

I bought one of those from cruffler.com, and had the same experience. For $299, it was like new, with a perfect barrel. I cleaned and lubed it, and took it to the range. Why try to fix something that isn't broken! :)

trvlr905

Man, I seriously need to raid my bank account. I just got my C&R, and Cruffler.com's Adam Firestone is about a 20 min drive from my front door!:D :D

Quartus

Got no pics yet, gentlemens. (And Good Lady Tamara.) The piece is in S Kali, and I'm in Utah. There's some transferring to be done.

Tamara, I'm seriously considering that.

Here's the kicker - my wife wants one. :D

Up until a few years ago, the thought of having a gun around scared her!

Oh, Jim, thanks for that, uh, kind offer. Yeah.

:D

Ooohhh, he's a happy camper! :D

Glockster35

Captain,

I have just come up with the perfect solution to your dilema.

Since I am in California, and I really want one of these pistols, he can simply sell me this excellent representation of Colt craftmanship. I would be more than happy to help you out in this situation.

In turn you can have him try again on ordering you another Sistema.

Thanks for your consideration...;)

Quartus

Blade, that's not a bad idea. I've got some pondering to do. When I asked what do I do, I wasn't just kidding. I'm seriously torn about this. I love history, but when it comes to a carry piece you need every advantage you can get.

One of the advantages that a 1911 has over the plastic wonder guns is that you CAN customize it. Kinda like hot rodding your car. You don't have to, but it's a blast.

But messing with history... Hmmm...

I am enjoying all of your input, and I'll post pics ASAP. Whichever way I go, I'll try to get my buddy to take some pics before it gets touched, and after if I customize it. He's a technophobe (doesn't even OWN a computer - didn't get his answering machine til he got married and his wife insisted) so forget digital shots. I'll scan them in, though.

Ben

I'd shoot the heck out of it as it's delivered. If it's reliable, then keep it original... otherwise you'll have an honest excuse to modify it ;)

Ben

CWL

Go throw it into some gravel and stomp on it for a while, then you'll have no choice but to have to refinish it.

Better yet, you should keep it as is.

C.R.Sam

I think the Captain is overly blessed. The wife wants one. The one he has is too nice to modify. That may well require orderin three more so that they can have his n hers shooters and his n hers keepers for pass down.

Sam