Serious stopping power... in rifle format!

n3twrkm4n

.700 Holland & Holland Nitro Express. It fires a 1,000-grain bullet at 2,000 fps, yielding an impressive 8,900 foot-pounds-- roughly twice the energy of a .375! Now that is a big bore.-Mike Schoby

I never thought elephant guns could get this BIG but I guess they do, I was impressed when someone showed me a picture of it... Definately a great self defense round! :D

There are a few pictures out on the net search for .700 or even the .600 Nitro Express!

[Edit] With the picture :eek:

attachment.php

Attachments

• 700nitroexpressvs50bmgcases.GIF
    700nitroexpressvs50bmgcases.GIF
    18.8 KB · Views: 1,776

Limeyfellow

Box of 5 rounds .700 Nitro Express at Midway costs $364.95. Not something you would want to waste.

Of course the rifle itself I have seen gone for $200000 so we are talking big boy's money here. Holland & Holland rifles though are indeed beautiful and wonderful and if you feel the need to buy me one go ahead.

Rangefinder

Well now, if at some point in my life I encounter a raging bull elephant breaking into my house set on killing me, I'll reflect back to now and say to myself "Damn, I wish I had a .700 Nitro Express right now..." LOL The rich ones always seem to be compensating for something, and I don't mean a cross-wind... :D

Limeyfellow

At 256 ft/ib recoil its not something you want to fire from anything that isn't bolted down into place anyway.

It makes the 30 ft/ib from a 30-06 all day not seem so bad after all.

Rangefinder

If that doesn't completely redefine the expression "getting knocked on your a$$", I'm not sure what does... Why not just put a Bradley in the garage and call it a day? LMAO!

Bah thats nothing, a 4 bore jungle gun firing cylindrical slugs, youre looking at a bullet that weighs over a quarter of a pound, going at 900-1200 FPS. Most of the old time big game hunters that used it on a regular basis went insane from recoil.

I call these hunters "Recoil Addled Cecil" collectively.

Rangefinder

Once again, the Bradley has my vote... But I want a cup holder installed... With really good stability control and shock absorbtion. Don't wanna foam my beer... LOL

Vilkata

How could one even shoulder-fire these mega-guns?

I can remotely imagine firing the lower-level big-game cartridges, like the 416 Rigby, etc. But a .700 Nitro Express? Supposedly big game hunters use these on Cape Buffalo.

Hunters have to shoulder fire this cartridge.

Is that even possible...?

I sure can't imagine shoulder firing a sawed off 50 BMG rifle!!!

---

P.S.

I was just reading about the 416 Rigby. Wholly screaming crap-flakes!!!

Did you know its 130 dollars for a box of 20 cartridges???

What the blazing heck makes them so expensive?

---

Rangefinder

Yah, well it saves time to use something that big I suppose. They're only after the head anyway, so shoot a cape buffalo with a .700 nitro, figure out where the head landed, and you're on your merry way. :D I still say it's a compensation factor.

wacki

4 bore jungle gun firing cylindrical slugs, youre looking at a bullet that weighs over a quarter of a pound, going at 900-1200 FPS.

Link me please

serach engine came up short

CarbineCaleb

Extreme prices versus common sense

Box of 5 rounds .700 Nitro Express at Midway costs $364.95. Not something you would want to waste.

Of course the rifle itself I have seen gone for $200000

Yipes! :eek: All I can say is, why??? :confused:

An alternative would be a CZ Safari bolt action in the common .458 Winchester Magnum for about $750. And then pay about $65 per 20 for big game hunting ammunition (e.g. A-Square Monolithic Solid 465gr @ 2220fps). The elephant would be just as dead. :rolleyes:

Death from Afar

Back in the days when the .600 was king of the heap - before the .700- one of the ivory hunters was asked why he used a .600...and he replied.....

"WELL, SONNY, THEY DONT MAKE A .700!" :) :) :) :)

utaherrn

one of the docs I work with is one of those "more power" junkies (he had the first S&W 500 in the state AFAIK). In his opinion, any rifle caliber smaller than .416 Rigby is for kids and/or women. I go shooting with him just to cure myself of the urge to buy one of these monsters. I watch him fire the rifle once and my desire drops to zero for a while. Some people......

Jseime

Why oh why

if anything is big enough that it needs to be killed by a .700NE why oh why would one feel the need to shoot it. I think that it would have to be bolted to a truck on a swivel before id even think about touching it off and i wouldnt want it to be my truck either.