serious need of a spring

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
Ok i have a 223 (mak 90) rifle that is doubling... and last time i had it out it sent 4 downrange.. lucky my hold was tight and I blasted a baseball sized hole in my target however... This is way unsafe. i like my 'uility" rifle but i in no way shape or form want rounds going downrange when I haven't intended.

The problem , according to the ppl over at AK47.net is that the FIRING PIN spring on 223 AKs is very weak.. and can allow the pin to stick... wobble and extend past the bolt face so even if the sear engages.. the pin going back into battery sets the rifle off. This was a major prblem of the preban 84S, and 223 mak90's as well.

i'm fairly ceratin i don't have a worn sear or other problem.,. the gun has had few rounds through it (5-600) and the internals look crisp and i keep it well oiled and cleaned...

any ideas.. parts supply houses and wild a$$ guesses welcome.

WHERE theHECK can i get a replacement (better) spring??

Dr.Rob

Morgan

Why fix it if it ain't broke? ;)

I guess this means you won't be bringing it to the side match on Saturday - bummer, as I was looking forward to watching (not as the Safety Officer, but from ----> waaaay over there, behind the berm :)).

I actually do have something useful to say in this post - try calling Cal's Sporting Armory at 303/806-0357. Chad deals in a lot of sport utility rifles, and he's your most likely place in town to find informed help.

Jim V

Not having one of the arms, what does the spring look like? What is the outside diameter, length, how many cpi (coils per inch) and can you tell the inside diameter? If it is a coil spring any good gunsmith should be able to make one or adapt another spring to work.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

beemerb

Dr Rob;
What I have done a couple of times when I needed a spring is go to the local hardware store.They normaly have drawers full of springs.They are cheap so take the old one along and do a match in size with a little more tension.IE more coils per inch or thicker wire.You can then cut to size a couple of different tensions,take them out and try them.

------------------
beemerb
We have a criminal jury system which is superior to any in the world;
and its efficiency is only marred by the difficulty of finding twelve men
every day who don't know anything and can't read.
-Mark Twain

Morgan

Ahhh, correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe that lesscoils per inch gives a stiffer spring. Not as resistant to sag, given the same wire. Think of the spring as a lever - the longer the lever (more coils) the less force required for movement.

Thicker wire (given the same material and heat treatment) will also give a stiffer spring.

I've raced motorcycles for years, and I've done a lot of suspension work.