Serious Movie Firearm Problem

Archie

I just saw the movie about the Origin of Wolverine. It's pretty good, typical evil government, special effects, revenge and destruction plot, but a good story line and believable once the unbelievable is allowed.

However, there is a problem - technical problem - with firearms in the movie.

The evil government Army colonel (standard issue, one each) has a back up plan to kill Wolverine. It's a Ruger Redhawk chambered in Really Huge Magnum and has specially made Adamantium bullets. Adamantium is a super secret alloy which is pretty much impervious to damage of any sort. Even dog breath won't faze it.

Presuming this actually exists and can be cast or shaped into bullets, does anyone see the problem?

Bud Helms

Or, if it resists any kind of damage of any sort, meaning it can't be deformed or destroyed, how the heck do you form a bullet of it? How do you work it? Of what material would tools be made? I mean, dog breath ... that's strong!

MrNiceGuy

it's a moot point, wolverine will rip through the pistol like it was made of marshmallow's long before they can even test fire it....

then xavier will hold you with telepathy while storm hits you with lightning and cyclops shoots laser beams at you from his freakin head.....

I cant believe you even started this thread.... horrible, horrible, horrible.

KUHIO

I was irritated because when Stryker first displayed the pistol in it's case we saw the revolver and 6 rounds. However, when he attacks Logan he fires like 9 shots without reloading.

Last edited:

chris in va

Well, it's certainly not gonna grab the rifling of the revolver, that's for sure. Probably make it a Really Huge Magnum overbore once it's fired.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
The only thing I see wrong with it is putting firearms into comic book based movies... Unless they put a "cloud balloon" with jagged points at the end of the muzzle that sez... "BLAMMO!!!" (for little guns) or "KABLOOM-O" (for big bore)
Brent

Archie

Chris and Chris...

As I said, we'll presume they can shape it into a bullet. It seems it can be melted by some method....

As Chris and Chris both understand, it cannot be engraved by the rifling. The stuff just cannot deform. So either it irons out the rifling, or simply overloads and blows. My bet would be on blowing out the cylinder or barrel.

Another example of either 'not thinking it through', or "Who's going to notice other than a couple gun geeks?"

But then again, this is a movie about a mutant who is over 150 years old who can project blades from his knuckles. Maybe I'm being too picky. It's a fun movie if one likes such things.

Six bonus points each to Chris and Chris. (You guys can decide which is which.)

Last edited:

FrankenMauser

Holy crap! Some one actually went and saw this movie. I've seen / heard four reviews that gave it one star.* (out of 5) That pretty much made up my already uninterested mind.

Perhaps the Redhawk has a bore lined with some super secret substance to allow stabilization, but no overpressurization. As the projectile moves down the bore, it is vaporized into super-low-mass molecules that don't inhibit the crazy fast velocities inherent to adamantite solids.

Hellbilly5000

Its a movie you expect them to be even close to accurate on what you can and can't do with a gun? We see movies to escape from reality not to go "oh that's not even close to being real"

Kyo

striker's "bullets" were actually energy beams with a rifle of some sort. So, if he doesn't reload I am going to assume he didn't have to cause there were no bullets? I am talking about the original striker. Not the movie striker.

jones1880

wolverine origins 2 gun reload

I saw the movie too. What did you guys think of the guy who reloaded his two semi-autos by tossing them in the air, and then letting them land on two fresh mags? Or the guy who could cut bullets with ninja swords?

I recommend Punisher: War Zone. Better firearm depictions than Wolverine.

4INCHSMITH

Maybe an adamantium core with a lead jacket?
Anyways, I find that if you try a justify what hollywood does with firearms blood WILL start shooting out of your nose. I know I kinda stole that from Lewis Black but I don't care.
Just let it go, because 9mm's can blow a man back 20ft.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

44 AMP

Staff
As a lone time fan of the comics....

although I basically stopped reading them in the early 80s,...and as someone who went and saw the movie, here are some points;

Adamantium -the "magic" metal stronger than anything else, impervious to damage or deformation, can be melted and cast, once. After it cools, it is like forever, baby.

So, bullets could be cast from it. Also, the gun was a Ruger. If you must apply real world physics to the move, using the gun and ammo as shown, the obvious way to do it would be a non rifled bore, or undersize (for bore diameter) bullets, so the rifling doesn't touch the adamantium bullets (which as steel, it couldn't engrave anyway). Or, perhaps the bore could have been adamantium lined? Or the bullets could have had adamantium cores, jacketed with material able to take the rifling. Lots of possible solutions to this "problem".

Of course as a smooth bore, accuracy would suck, but its a short range weapon, so it would still be able to make hits on target. The reason for the adamantium bullets was to be able to penetrate the adamantium coating on Wolverine's skull.
(considering how this stuff was supposed to be impenitrable, I do have to wonder at the logic of this)

I counted closely, and Stryker did not shoot "like 9 times". He fired 5 times. 3 times to bring Wolverine down, and two head shots as he lay on the ground.

I enjoyed the movie, and the special effects. You really have to suspend your disbelief, after all, its a visual comic book.