Series 80 and Series 70

Duxman

Whats the difference between the Series 80 and Series 70 Colts? Is there one better than the other?

Series 80 has a firing pin safety which some aficionados claim impacts in someway the feel of the trigger. The 70 series system is essentially the way the gun was designed from day one. This is my super short and to the point version of the differences between the two systems.

BlueDragon

Series 80 has a different type of firing system i think? i could be wrong, and it has an internal firing pin safety, that many people, myself included dont like. The 70 series is the way colt had always pretty much made their 1911's before they switched to the 80's firing system.

kcshooter

On the 80 series, there are two extra pieces between the frame and slide that create a drop safety system by not allowing the firing pin to move until there is pressure on the trigger. With a good trigger job, you will never know the difference between the two triggers. You will hear people say otherwise, but look around and see if a gun shop has a nicely done 80 series and you will be able to experience it yourself. My Colt 1991 80 series both have a trigger that is indistinguishable from my Kimber.

Lurper

The series 80 has a firing pin block - a cure looking for a problem. It involves a few parts that move when the trigger is pulled. They will effect the feel of the trigger when you get down to the sub-3lb range. Given a choice, the series 70 is better, but you can remove the series 80 parts and achieve the same results.

Duxman

Cool. Thanks guys.

One quick question: Is there a huge difference in the trigger between the Colts and the other types of 1911s?

kcshooter

That's the great thing about a 1911-they are what you make them. You can get a great trigger job on a $480 SA GI and have the trigger feel compete with the best of the best.

ranburr

A true Series 70 has a collett bushing and a barrel designed to work with that type of bushing. The new Series 70 pistols do not have this. A series 80 has a firing pin safety and uses a different extractor and firing pin than any other Colt. I don't find a huge difference in the trigger quality. But, I hate the Series 80 because the little pieces are a real pain to reinstall after a detail cleaning.

45reloader

I have this WW1 replica.

http://www.m1911.org/prodte29.htm

This gun is VERY hard to find and cost around $900.00 a year ago.The trigger is superior to the average 1911 for the simple fact the gun comes from the custom shop.

If you want the real Colt 1911 this is the gun.Hand built from the original diagrams.

Now that's the best investment in a 1911...a Colt 1911...I have one of each...the WWI and the WWII...both are safe queens. I expect a minimum of a 15% return each year once the WW1&2's are no longer offered for sale by gun shops or individuals. Cannot say that with any other copy.

Tom2

I had a trigger job done by a local smith on a stock 80. He did make the pull feel crisper, but sometimes if you very slowly and gently pull the trigger, maybe more so than in regular shooting, you can still detect just the slightest bit of creep or something from the linkage engaging and moving the firing pin block. It is not very noticeable but compared to an excellent SA trigger without that extra mechanism, it is detectable. ON target and shooting the gun it is not noted or a distraction. But it does give you one more layer of security if the gun is dropped. I once had a prewar Colt from Argentina that had something called the Schwartz(?) safety system installed. The firing pin block was square instead of round, but as I recall it was functionally identical to the 80 system. If the smith polishes up the linkage parts as well during a trigger job, it can be minimised if he makes the effort.

AK103K

I've owned a number of each series, and the only ones I now have left are three of the 80's. ( I quit carrying 1911's about 2 years ago now) The 80's triggers out of the box are not bad, especially for a carry gun, and I suspect that those who cry about them have never dropped a freshly loaded, with the safety not yet set, 70 series and watched it fall to the kitchen floor (while doing a funny little dance I might add). I like the idea of the firing pin block on a gun that is handled and carried a lot.

Of all the 1911's, my Colts, of either series, were the only ones I'd carry. They always had nice triggers, and usually worked without issue, right out of the box.

45reloader

UH1-D Rotorhead what serial number is yours

I think I got one of the last ones with 4,4xx

They say only 4,000 were to be made, but they are over that.So I'm thinking 5,000 will be the cut off.

Do you know the number of the WWII guns to be made?

Duxman

OK. Here are some pics. Range report to follow.

COLT40SW5.jpg

Colt40SW1.jpg