Series 70 vs. Series 80

TCman

Im getting fundt to build my own custom 1911. I have decided on a caspian frame and caspian 6in slide with a kart barrel. My problem is on which series to build. I have a Colt Series 80 and that is all I have to go off of. I can detail strip it, no problem. Is the only difference the firing pin plunger and trigger bar lever? Would it be a better idea to put that extra safety on, or should I go the cheaper route and do a Series 70?

TheTinMan

What are you going to use the gun for? With a 6" barrel, I'm guessing that it's not a carry gun. Since the primary purpose of the firing pin block is to prevent an accidental discharge when the gun is dropped barrel first onto a hard surface, I'm not sure I'd worry about Series 80 for a target gun. You've got a couple of extra parts and you have to make sure that the timing of the firing pin block is setup properly. From what I understand, the Series 80 firing pin block can affect your trigger pull (and not necessarily in a good way). Oh, and there are a few standard parts that need to be different for Series 80 like the firing pin stop, the extractor, the firing pin, and there may be others.

Please note that I'm no gunsmith. Just have been researching this due to a Swartz safety in my Kimber and daydreams of a Caspian build too. Forgive me if you already knew this stuff.

RickB

If you are building a gun, then Series 80 would be a hassle. As noted, you'd not only have to include the Series 80 parts, but you'd have to get specific extractor, grip safety, and firing pin stop to accommodate them. I assume you'd have to pay extra for a Caspian frame and slide cut for S80, too.

TCman

Ok so ill go the cheaper route and make a 70 series. The frame and slide come fitted from the factory, so the barrel and bushing will need to be fitted. What about the various small parts such as the safety, trigger, and hammer? How involved is fitting the bushing and barrel?

RickB

If you buy a drop-in barrel and drop-in bushing, there should be little or no fitting, but less than stellar accuracy. If you buy a gunsmith-fit barrel and bushing, you should be able to extract the maximum accuracy, but only so much as the quality of the smithing allows. A good compromise is the Kart E-Z fit barrel and bushing, which can be fit by anyone handy with tools. The accuracy potential is right up there with a gunsmith-fit barrel, but again, it depends on the care and skill of the person doing the work.
Every single part that interacts with another part may have to be fitted. The first time I built a 1911 from a box of parts, the only part that was merely installed rather than fitted was the plunger tube.

mnw42

My Series 80 has a very good trigger pull, despite the extra parts. That being said I would build a pistol with the standard lock-work instead.

As a miner aside...

The Series 70 was designation for guns built with a collet bushing and 'accu-izer' barrel. S70 has been a colloquial term for Colts without the series 80 block.

RickB

That's from the Advanced Colt Nomenclature class. Those of us with a Colt Decoder Ring know there is no such thing as a Series 70 Commander; Commanders never had collet barrel bushings.

TCman

The ez-fit barrel is the one I am interested in. The series 70 sounds like the way to go. Minor fitting on the small parts doesnt sound to bad:rolleyes:

Skans

I have a Colt Gold Cup Trophy, Series 80. Don't believe all that crap you year about the Series 80 not having as good of a trigger pull as the Series 70. I've fired both, and both are very clean and crisp. A Series 80 can be every bit as good as a Series 70. However, If I were building a pistol, and it wasn't for carry I'd probably choose the Series 70 for simplicity sake.

schmeky

Series 70 definitely, been there, done that. It is quite likely that hammer hook and sear work can alter the timing of the firing pin safety, resulting in mis-fires.

This happened to me. Yes, you can achieve an excellent trigger pull with a Series 80, but you can also wind up with some negative consequences.

SilentHitz

Series 70 definitely, been there, done that.
Same here, comes down to personal choice, but my vote goes for the 70 also. But I'm a member of the old phart's club, you know, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.;)

ViperJon

I converted my "range only" series 80 to a series 70 with the removal of the firing pin safety features and addition of the filler pieces. Simple.

Noticed no difference in the trigger pull, frankly.

RickB

I converted my "range only" series 80 to a series 70 with the removal of the firing pin safety features and addition of the filler pieces. Simple.

Noticed no difference in the trigger pull, frankly.

That is my experience, as well.

Chui

I simply don't like the (slightly) added complexity. I don't find the extra parts "needed". I rather like Springfield's solution: Titanium 9mm firing pin with extra strong firing pin spring.

Jason_G

As a miner aside...

The Series 70 was designation for guns built with a collet bushing and 'accu-izer' barrel. S70 has been a colloquial term for Colts without the series 80 block.

Yeah, but IIRC, the collet bushing set up was continued for a while on into Series-80 production, so by that logic... :confused:

Jason