Series 70 frame questions

FRANK1669

I got a Colt 70 series frame and only the frame It came from a 38 super my guestions are Will standard 1911 IE goverment type parts .45 cal fit this frame Hammer slide etc. my understanding is the will I just want to make sure before I spend to much money on parts ( Just to clarify my understanding on this a little better the only difference betwen a model 70 and a 1911a1 is the barrel and bushing or is their other changes as well) thanks for any help

HSMITH

Fire control parts will fit fine. Slide, barrel, ejector and extractor are the magor differences between calibers.......

BillCA

Frank,

The original Series 70 guns used a collet-style bushing (it was not a solid bushing, it had fingers instead of a circular collar) and a barrel with a slight flare for the collet bushing. Lots of PD officers had their barrels and bushings changed out after reports surfaced of the collet bushings breaking one of the "fingers").

If you want to build a .45ACP version, purchase all of the Government model parts. On a complete gun, you'd have to change out;

- Slide (the .45 needs a wider breech face)
- Barrel
- extractor
- ejector
- recoil spring
- magazine

Other parts, such as trigger, stirrup, hammer, safety, slide-stop, etc. were all the same as the .45ACP version.

RickB

The Super feed ramp is different, but I think it's shallower/shorter, so you should be able to have it converted to .45 spec.
If you buy .45 parts, they should all fit. Any parts that are different between .45 and Super (extractor, ejector, etc.) will be available as caliber-specific parts, so just get the .45 part.

With the expense....

....associated with having to mill the frame to accept a 45 barrel, one would spend more in this venture than buying new a Series 70 Colt...I don't see the rationale for all this expense...and in the end, the gun is not worth much since it is a highly modified gun, with a serial number that belongs to a 38...it's like licking that $200,000.00 inverted plane stamp, and having a postmark on it...the stamp is now worth about $60,000.00 now...I say leave the frame alone, and build up to a complete 38 pistol...I will even go so far as saying the frame as is, is worth more than any conversion to a 45 would make it...of course, this is IMHO.;)

Jim Watson

Maybe not exactly the same, maybe close enough, certainly close enough that a milling machine will not be required to complete the butchery. Knew a guy who was too cheap to buy Supers, too lazy to load them, so he had an Argie upper put on his Super frame (back when there was still surplus .45). Everything got separated so now there are two mongrel guns out there, at best.

If this gun was actually a .38 Super, and not a .38 Special wadcutter gun, as was common for middle stage bullseye match shooting back when these were made, it might, as Huey suggests, be worth more in the original format? I would consider putting a set of the rest of the original parts on it, then see if you can't maybe sell it or trade it for a used Kimber or other .45 that is already tightly fit?
Nick

FRANK1669

Whoops I stepped in it now:eek: -- the frame is intended to be a learning platform. I could easily buy a Springfield or Kimber ready to go for less than I will spend on parts and tooling. I try not to screw up any firearms which is why I asked before doing anything to this frame.