Series 70 collet bushings

xm21

A friends 1979 vintage nickel plated series 70 1911 broke the collet bushing today at the range.This was a much carried but not much shot gun when he bought it in 2004,it has had maybe 5 or 6 hundred rounds shot through it since.Colt does not use the collet bushing anymore,does anyone trust the collet bushing on a carry gun?My friend trusted it right up until the moment it failed yesterday.I would not carry a Colt with a collet bushing,do any of you carry one?Colt obviously quit using it for a reason.Anyone feel otherwise?I would like to hear your opinion.Thanks

Hommbs

They only went to it as a cost savings measure to eliminate having to fit a solid bushing. When mine broke I went to a solid bushing as well.

Slopemeno

The gunsmithing shop I worked at had a board with dozens of broken collet bushings on it. I wouldn't use one on a serious-use gun.

T. O'Heir

Have a collet bushing in mine that has had more than 5 to 600 rounds through it for far longer than 4 years with no fuss. Cast target loads though.
Your buddy needs to practice more if he carries anything.

xm21

My friend carries an XD.This gun was bought because who would'nt want a Colt 1911 for 375 dollars.MY post said much carried not much shot"WHEN HE BOUGHT IT".This from the obvious wear to the exterior of the pistol,and the almost new look on the innards.It was shot to enjoy shooting a classic,the XD gets shot for other reasons.Thanks for the concern T O'Heir.

Alleykat

I wouldn't carry a 1911, just due to personal preferences, even though I own a couple. The reason Colt went to the collet bushing had nothing to do with their desire not to fit solid bushings; it was because collet bushings, per Colt's advertising at the time, provided better lockup and accuracy than did most other mass-produced designs.

It was only after the collet bushings had been in use for a few years that the breakages were noted, and Colt took the corrective action of providing solid bushings. Chances are, those solid bushings provided by Colt weren't/aren't as accurate as the collet bushings, but the solid bushings are more reliable.

I replaced the collet bushing in my 70 Series Gold Cup, not because I was concerned abouit s.d. reliablilty, but just because I didn't want to be aggravated with a locked-up pistol at the range.

pogo2

Same experience

I have a Series 80 Gold Cup that came with a collet bushing. I shot it for several years and then noticed a thin crack through the ring portion of the bushing. I replaced it with a conventional Ed Brown bushing and I believe the gun shoots more accurately now.

kraigwy

The Gold Cup with the bushing was never designed to be a Hard Baller (shooting full blow match 230s as was used in EIC matches when DCM furnished the ammo for Leg Matches).

The gold cup were for mid range wad cutter type loads used in the 45 and CF stages of the 2700. Most military matches used the Hard Ball in the 45 protion and built guns accordingly.

The collet bushing works well. The spring loaded fingers did hold the barrel in place with consistancely.

Another problem with the gold cup was the front sight. It was staked in and wasn't riggid enough to take a full steady diet of hard ball (I'm not taking 600 rounds over a period of time, I'm talking 500-1000 rounds a week.

I really liked the feel of mine over the hard ball guns the military furnished. I shot my Gold Cup better. I replaced the barrel with a match bushing/barrel kit and fitted it to my gun. Swipped some gages and tightened up the rails on the slide and frame. Went through a set of links until I had the lock up I wanded. Put on a millet crimped in front sight that wont pop off and its still shoots great today. I wouldnt attempt to guess how many 10s of thousands of Hard Ball I've run through it. Been shooting it since the late '70s.

Though I will admit, since I dont shoot for the Guard and we furnish our own ammo at matches now, I have lightened up my loads quite a bit, but that was for my comfort, not the guns.

If you stick to mid range 45 and CF loads (which is all you need for Bullseye and most other matches) you can keep the collet bushing. If you shoot hard ball, or full blown 45s then you should replace he collet with a match bushing, fitting it to the barrel.