serial number ???

leoshift3

I have a question regarding a pistol that is a family heirloom. I have a S&W
.38 special revolver that is my fathers gun and was his fathers gun. I have had the gun for about five years now and want to "refurbish" to new this gun and give it back as present. Now my question is, how would you find out a guns history by serial numbers. the reason I ask is, my dad had been told by his dad that this revolver was in essence a "saturday night special" and never knew who it came from before him. ----would there be any kind of legal worries that I might have regarding say sending the pistol to smith and wesson? Any help or insight into this subject is greatly appreciated.

USP45usp

IIRC, guns are one of the things that you DON'T want to have redone, they are worth more as collectives in the shape they are in now.

Now, if the gun is really mired up and isn't worth a good price in the condition it is now, you may wish to have it refurbed, but it it's normal wear on the finished, etc.., no pits, then it's worth more as it and not redone.

If the gun is in good shape, not pits, rust and such like that I would just have a gunsmith go over the internals to ensure it's safe to fire and then re-present it that way. Explain that you kept it that way due to the value is much more because of it and guns/firearms are considered tools of the warrier and "their" battle scars are held in high regard (as in, something that is 50+ years old should show use and look 50+ years old).

Wayne

leoshift3

not quite the question...

jacobtowne- you got the right idea, but i was wondering about if there would be any legal issues involved with turning the serial number over to smith and wesson. To put it flatly; my father and I do not know where the gun came from. My grandfather "qcuired it from a friend." Now, My father is,and always has been greatly attached to this gun, (itwas his fathers) and has always been reluctant to show it even to family because he is so uncertain about its history. Is there a look up service, or do I not even need to worry? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

get the serial number checked out with the police

get the serial number checked out with the police
but do that with an police officer you can trust
and if its stolden
gust give the pistol to them
and if its clean sell it
you shouldent have any problems if the pistol is clean