Serial Number search

markm_04

Can anyone tell me a reliable source to look up serial numbers on a bunch of older (1960-1980) rifles and shotguns? I am also interested in finding out the approximate value of these guns for possible insurance coverage reasons. I have done a little bit of searching on the internet but cant get some of them pinned down to an exact year, I just get a range of years. I am looking for Remington, Ruger, Winchester, a couple Marlins and some others.

Salmoneye

You're going to have to do each gun individually, as I am unaware of a central 'clearing house' of serial number data...

Post them individually leaving off the last two or three digits (ie, 123,4xx) with make and model, and some may be able to help...

Sadly, pre 1968 there were times when companies did not keep track or lost records...

Marlin from 1906 to the 30's is like that...They had a fire that destroyed the records...

jmr40

Remigtons have a date code on the barrel. As long as it is the original barrel this is pretty accurate. For about 2 years, 1990-91 I think they temporarily stopped dating the barrels. If you find one with no date code you'll need to contact Remington. Or if not the original barrel which happens quite often on 870's and other shotguns. Not as common on rifles.

http://remingtonsociety.com/rsa/questions/barrelcodes

Ruger lists a manufacturing date somewhere on their website. Here I think.

http://ruger.com/service/productHistory.html

Click on the specific rifle for a SN range and the dates made for the Rugers.

Most Marlins made after 1972 have an easy date code built into the SN. Just subtract the 1st 2 digits of the SN from 100. For example if the 1st 2 numbers are 25, the gun was built in 1975. If it is 88, the gun was made in 2012. For older guns look here. This code does not work with all guns. Some limited runs used different systems, but it works for most.

http://oldguns.net/sn_php/marlinlookup.php

Older Winchesters can be looked up here.

http://oldguns.net/sn_php/winmods.htm

Winchesters made after the 1960's have no on line data that I've ever located. You'll have to go to a bookstore and buy a reference book, or post a partial SN on line and ask someone who has one of the reference books to look it up for you.

44 AMP

Staff
Also, for a lot of guns, the best you will be able to find (even from the factory) is a range of years where that serial # falls.

Why is it important to know the specific year of manufacture? For most things, knowing a gun was made between 1973-78 (for example) is good enough. Also, knowing when a gun was made does not mean that is when it was first sold.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Fjestad's Blue Book has dates of manufacture for Winchesters and Colts. Recent-issue books show retail values of almost every gun known to man. :)

markm_04

I am mainly curious as to finding out the year of manufacture (as close as possible) for my own knowledge. Most of these guns have been handed down to my from my late grandfather so I dont know exactly when they were manufactured or when/where he obtained them from. I know I will probably never know the latter but would like to know as much about them as possible.

Any help with information on the guns is appreciated.

1) H&R Topper Model 58 12 ga.
SN: AM2765**

2)Western Field Double Barrel 12 ga.
SN: 2176**

3)Winchester Model 12 12 ga.
SN: 18770**

4)Winchester Model 270 .22 long or short
SN: B9756**

5)Winchester Model 62 .22 long or short
SN:1924**

6)Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 ga.
SN: T52185**

7)Marlin Model 55 12 ga.
SN: 691800**

8)Ruger Single Six .22
SN: 3519**

9)Remington Model 700 .243
SN: 67809**

10)Ruger M77 .25-06
SN: 70-411**

11)Ruger 10/22 Carbine .22 long
SN: 114-8588**

12)Marlin Model 995SS .22 long
SN: 042277**

These are the ones that I am mainly curious about. I know some of them probably do not have a lot of monetary value but I would still like to know an approximate value if possible for my own knowledge. Thank you for your assistance.

jmr40

The Rugers, Marlins ,Remingtons, and some of the Winchesters can be looked up in the links provided above.

FrankenMauser

I'm bored, and trying to stay away from the crap my wife is watching on tv. So, I'll give you a few freebies:

H&R Topper - Older H&R date codes are not as straight-forward as they may seem. So, you have to go with an approximate year. For AM, it should be ~1978. (produced 1974-1981)

Western Field Double - You'll need to provide much more information, including photographs. The Western Field shotguns included models from nearly every manufacturer, and they sometimes used the same model numbers over again. For example, the Western Field "model 50" was a Browning-designed, Stevens-built pump shotgun ... and 20 years later, it was a re-badged Glennfield model 60 semi-auto .22.

Winchester Model 12 - 1960.

Winchester Model 270 - 1963-1973. Serial numbers were not sequential, so only Winchester can be more specific (if they even have the records).

Winchester Model 62 - That serial number indicates that it is actually a Model 62A. - 1947. (That 'A' matters, if you are going to sell it or repair it. ...Same basic design, but with some important internal differences.)

Marlin 995SS - 1996.

Marlin 55 - That seems to be a non-compliant serial number. Are you sure there aren't any other letters or numbers in that serial number? Either way... the fact that it has a serial number indicates that it's likely a post-1968 shotgun. Prior to 1968, they didn't put serial numbers on very many of the 55s.

For the Rugers, go here: http://www.ruger.com/service/productHistory.html