Serial number question

Eazyeach

I may have a problem. I was recently looking through the safe and found my very 1st gun. It's a Stevens 311 20ga. My grandpa gave it to m when I was a kid. Here's the problem: I cannot find a serial # anywhere on the gun. Am I in violation of the law? Can I make it legal again? Do I need to get rid of my 1st gun? It's not valuable in the $ sense at all but it is special to me. Any advice would be appreciated.

jmr40

Guns made prior to 1968 weren't required to have a SN. But if it came with one it is illegal to remove it. Most guns made well before 68 had them anyway. Not sure about your shotgun, but I'd make sure. As long as it never had one all is fine. If someone altered the gun and removed it you have a problem.

Pahoo

Many still going strong !!!

My hunting shotgun during high school years, was a Stevens 311, in 12ga. It too did not have a serial number. There are a bunch of these still out there and working just fine. I often wonder how a dealer deals with these when he has to do a transfer? Does yours have a plastic or wooden stock?? :confused:

Be Safe !!!

Eazyeach

It's a wood stock. And I've never seen any evidence where the # was deliberately worn off. Just don't wanna jeopardize my rights because a hunting gun may be outside the law.

44 AMP

Staff
I wouldn't worry too much...

As others have said, before 1968, US law did not require serial numbers. Most guns had them, but a lot of the budget guns (mostly .22s and shotguns) did not.

Its not illegal to have a gun with no serial number. IT IS ILLEGAL to have one with the serial number altered, defaced of removed. This applies to all guns that had serial numbers put on them, no matter when made. Sadly, the way the law is written, it assumes that if you have such a gun in your possession, you were the one who removed the serial number in violation of law.

There have been people who have been prosecuted for having such a gun, when they weren't the ones who altered the serial number. If you do ever run across a gun with an altered, defaced or removed serial number, I'd contact a lawyer and have them make arrangements to surrender it to the authorities. (or follow whatever different advice the lawyer gives you)

I wouldn't worry too much about your old shotgun, dealers see them all the time, guns made before 68. I've had a couple myself. One was a bolt action .410, took it out of the stock, checked everywhere. The only marking on it was "2 1/2 & 3 in shells" on the barrel. Another one with no serial number was a Siamese Mauser bolt action. That one went to an FFL shop for some work, and the FFL said, "no problem". In the serial number box on the form, he just wrote "no ser number" and everything was all fine and legal.

If it never had one, you are ok if it doesn't have one. If it EVER had one, and now doesn't, get a lawyer, and be prepared to eat any investment you have in it, plus lawyer fees. Or risk jail. It's that simple.

Added: Its not illegal under Federal law. Check your state law carefully. There might be differences.