sending rifles through the mail: to gunsmith

brian923

i am looking to maybe get some work done on a mauser and was wondering, how does shipping to and from the gunsmith work. do i have to take the rifle to a dealer and have it shipped to the smith, and then have the smith ship it back to the dealer to be picked up??? thanks, brian.

PetahW

Congress made special provision in the Gun Control Act of 1968, for private individuals the ship or mail, and receive the same gun back in return, a firearm directly to/from any manufacturer, or gunsmith, for repair or for customizing, w/o going through an FFL.

Some jurisdictions, however have laws in place that don't allow what is allowed under Federal Law - so be sure to check your state's (etc) laws.

brickeyee

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b

(B7) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?[Back]

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier? [Back]

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

Powderman

Simply put:

You MAY ship a handgun to a gunsmith, repair facility or back to the factory for repair or reworking, via common carrier (UPS, FedEx, etc.).

You MAY ship a RIFLE or SHOTGUN to a gunsmith, repair facility or back to the factory for the same services, and you MAY use the US Mail, as well as a common carrier. There are some specific guidelines if you ship by mail; check the Post Office.

As long as the firearm sent comes back with the same serial number (the same gun), it can be shipped directly back to you.

If the registered part of the firearm (serial number bearing) is changed, the firearm MUST be shipped to an FFL, who will perform the transfer to you.

James K

Member In Memoriam
I suggest going to the post office without the gun and talking to the postmaster. Some postal clerks are not aware of their own regulations and as soon as you say "gun" they run away screaming. Saying that you have checked with the postmaster has a calming effect, as does citing chaper and verse of the postal regulations.

(They have the right to ask if the package contains certain specific items. If they ask what is in the package; don't lie.)

Jim

Rangefinder

I suggest going to the post office without the gun and talking to the postmaster.

I'd suggest instead going through UPS or FedEx----not trying to go all tinfoil hat or anything, but I've had mail lost, packages disappear, arrive torn open and rifled through when they DO get where they're going, etc WAY too may times through USPS on things that weren't so important. I just don't trust a federal agency to transport my firearms-related serial-numbered hardware. Through UPS I not only get things insured heavily (they pay pretty close attention as a private shipping company when they stand to pay out several thousand dollars for a lost item), but then I can track it through every step of the journey and see exactly when whoever signs acceptance on the other end. MUCH more reliable and easier on the nerves IMHO.

dieselone

My experience with USPS has been good, both shipping and receiving. Less so with UPS and FedEx. USPS delivery confirmation is nowhere near the tracking info provided by the others but if all you need is verification that the item got to the destination, it is sufficient.

Powderman

Rangefinder, I must respectfully disagree.

Here's what happens when you ship a long gun via USPS:

The gun must be boxed in a plain box with no labels.
At the Post Office, you declare the gun, and seal the box with a paper (has to be moistened) type tape. You can seal this up yourself; get a sponge to dampen the back of the tape, though.

The packaged gun is sent Registered Mail, which is the most secure shipping method. You can insure for up to $25,000; the package is accepted, signed for, and assigned a tracking number that you can use online. The sealing paper tape is stamped in multiple locations so that any tampering is shown.

Registered, Certified and Insured Mail is known as Accountable Mail; it is signed for at each step of the shipment, whenever a transfer is made. Registered Mail is stored under lock and key, too.

Finally, (as an example) it cost me only $28.00 to ship my M1A to Springfield Armory. I had to ship the rifle back to them twice, each time at the same price.

Shipping USPS is the best and most secure way to ship, IMHO--at a fraction of the cost of the other services.

Rangefinder

Well, Powderman definitely makes strong points---(Kuddos to ya, BTW)

I guess what I can say to that is go check it out. If the post office where you are has it together this well, you have it made. Mine never did, but that's another story.Check, compare, and go with what makes sense security-wise and agrees with your gut impression.

PetahW

My local USPS/Post Office never used to have it together, either - Until, I cited them their own regs (chapter & verse, as Jim said above).

After they got out & read their own book that first time, they've been excellent - over the last 10 guns I've mailed out, since then.

BTW - Use USPS Registered Priority Mail, insured & w/delivery notification.
IIRC, the largest/heaviest I mailed was about $30, but most were much less $$.
Registered Mail is a little "slow", due to all the lockup/signing enroute - but I've never had a gun fail to arrive at it's destination in the same condition I mailed it.

madcratebuilder

I have used all the common carriers for long guns (C&R) and exempt handguns (cap and ball) Never had a problem with any. My local PO knows I ship a lot of BP stuff and ask about them. I even got one PO guy in to shooting. YMMV

Alleykat

If the registered part of the firearm (serial number bearing) is changed, the firearm MUST be shipped to an FFL, who will perform the transfer to you.

I guess those dolts @ Glock/Smyrna just don't know the law. I've received two different Glocks, replaced under warranty, with different serial numbers than the originals, without going through an FFL.