Semiauto size categories

simonrichter

Which system do you use to define semiauto handguns size-wise? While there's normally kind of an agreement what "full size" does mean, below that category there sems to be kind of a mix-up sometimes. I'd use the following categories:

Target / Competition (e.g. G17L)

Full Size / Service (e.g. G17)

Compact (e.g. G19)

Subcompact (e.g. Walther PPK, Beretta Bobcat)

Pocket / Mouse Gun / Micro (e.g. Baby Browning, Seecamp)

any other suggestions?

ShootistPRS

You list target and full size with the same gun yet target guns typically have larger sights that make the overall size of the gun slightly larger.
You did a good job though! I usually measure the size of my guns by the cartridge they fire. :eek:

RickB

17 "Ell" for the target gun; five-plus inch barrel.

I use the Colt system.

Target - Gold Cup

Service - Government Model

Compact - Officers

Subcompact - Vest Pocket Model

rock185

Your list looks reasonable to me. The Glock 34/35 might split the difference between the service and target categories.

ballardw

Missing a category for the short-rifle types such as Kel-Tec PLR-223, Extar, the AK "Krinks", other AR pattern and/or PPSH 41/43, though some of that is US specific size weirdness to designate them "handguns".

I'm not really sure I buy the difference between Subcompact and Pocket/Mouse. I pocket carry a pistol in PPK size range.

That's fine as a Glock-centric matrix, but we in the 1911 universe look at it (obviously) in terms of 1911 models:

5" Government = full-size

4-1/4" Commander = mid-size

3-1/2" Officer's ACP = compact

Anything smaller than an Officers ACP is a subcompact.