Semi-Jacketed Hollow Points

black mamba

Does anyone know of a current source for the old style semi-jacketed hollow point handgun bullets?
Something like these, or at least with a lot of exposed lead. Looking for 45 cal.

ziHvf6v.jpg

NoSecondBest

Not sure why you're calling them "semi-jacketed" or "old style". They look just like the current Remington JHP pistol bullets I just bought for my .357. Remington just calls the jacketed hollow points. The only "semi-jacketed old style" bullets that come to mind are the old Speer half jacketed bullets that are no longer made.

black mamba

I thought the ones I found the picture of were Remingtons, but haven't found any for sale in .45 caliber. I was looking for something that would expand at moderate velocity (850-1,000 fps). Looks like the only thing available is the Sierra JHC 240s.

shootniron

Obviously, I was wrong about Remington making them in .45...just seemed like I had seen them in the past.

My hunting bullet comment was based on our use of them in .44mag.

T. O'Heir

No$ler(on sale at Graf's for $56.99 per 250), Speer and Sierra make 'em at .451". Mostly for .45 Colt though. Heavier than 230 grains. Might give you OAL issues in an ACP.
The HP part is kind of daft. A semi-jacketed bullet will expand dramatically with or without the HP part.

mete

It was a sad day when Speer gave up their JSWCHP. I used that in my M29 for many deer .225 grain only recovered one bullet , all were one shot kills !! :D

Charlie98

You could probably load the Speer Gold Dot at moderate velocity and get good expansion without it blowing up, assuming .451" would be accurate in your .45 Colt. Personally, my favorite is the Remington soft point, I load them in .41, never been a big HP fan except in defensive ammos.

Doyle

It was a sad day when Speer gave up their JSWCHP. I used that in my M29 for many deer .225 grain only recovered one bullet , all were one shot kills !!

Was that the old "deep curl"? Great bullet.

Nick_C_S

It was a sad day when Speer gave up their JSWCHP.

Boy you got that right!! I'm still sulking and haven't gotten over it. I really really miss their 146gn units for 357 Mag. What a wonderful bullet.

buck460XVR

I thought the ones I found the picture of were Remingtons, but haven't found any for sale in .45 caliber. I was looking for something that would expand at moderate velocity (850-1,000 fps). Looks like the only thing available is the Sierra JHC 240s.

According to Hornady, their 250 and 300 gr standard XTPs in .45 cal are designed to expand @ 800fps and up. Very accurate bullets, and very easy to find.

black mamba

I ended up ordering the Speer 260 gr JHPs. The consensus is that they open nicely at standard 45 Colt velocities, which is what I was looking for. Gonna work up some loads for a 1980 vintage 25-5. Thanks for all the input.