semi-autos (nearly) identical to the Beretta 92FS

anonimoose

Shooters,

A while back I started a thread on concealed carry firearms most similar to the M9. Wanted to resurrect the thread...but my question is just a tad different.

Which semi-automatic firearms are identical to the Beretta 92FS with regard to the manual of arms?

Feature #1: has a hammer-fired DA/SA trigger
Feature #2: has a slide (not frame)-mounted safety that you sweep up to fire (and down to place on safe)
Feature #3: has a safety that also acts as a decocker
Feature #4: has a grip-mounted magazine release (not trigger guard-style)
Feature #5: does not have a magazine disconnect safety

As you can see, it's a pretty restrictive list. The hammer-fired DA/SA trigger rules out the striker-fired pistols that are all the rage these days (Glocks, Springfield XDs, etc). Those firearms that do have the traditional DA/SA trigger either don't have manual safeties (Sigs) or they've got frame-mounted/sweep down to fire safeties (many CZs, many HKs, the newest Rugers).

From what I can tell, the only answer to my question (besides other Berettas!) is...the Walther PP and its variants.

There are, of course, a few others that come awfully close:
Bersa Thunder .380, 9, etc -- however, they have magazine disconnect safeties
Makarov PM -- however, it has the magazine release at the bottom of the grip
Smith & Wesson third generation autos like the 39xx, 59xx, etc -- however, they have magazine disconnect safeties
Taurus PT92 -- however, it has a frame-mounted safety
Walther P22, PK380 -- however, they have a trigger-guard magazine release, a magazine safety disconnect, and the safety does not work as a decocker

Am I missing anything? Would very much welcome additions, corrections or clarifications.

respectfully,
Moose

Last edited:

BitterTait

Makarov's bottom of the grip & sweep down to fire. The Walther PPK though, has both a sweep up to fire & grip mounted mag release.

anonimoose

hardworker

look at the stoeger cougar

Fascinating -- these are basically the old Beretta 8000 (Cougar) sold under a different manufacturer. Never knew about 'em. Thanks!

bittertait

Makarov's bottom of the grip & sweep down to fire.

Ah, thanks for the correction.

blchandl2

ATI 92C, basically a clone of the Beretta.

Never knew about these -- thanks.

pbratton

Taurus PT92

Negative, please see feature #2 -- PT92s have a frame-mounted safety.

labhound

The Stoeger Cougar is the same gun as the Beretta Cougar. Beretta owns Stoeger and manufactures the gun in Turkey on the original Beretta Cougar machinery. I own the Stoeger Cougar 8000 F 9mm and the 8045 .45 acp. Both excellent guns and great buy for the money.

JohnKSa

Administrator
The older style Ruger P-Series pistols in DA/SA fit the description although the magazine releases push forward, not inward to release.

The Beretta PX-4 F model pistols also meet your requirements.

anonimoose

pelo801

somebody beat me to it, but i was going to say the ATI clone

Thanks.

labhound

The Stoeger Cougar is the same gun as the Beretta Cougar.

Great, thanks for the clarification.

JohnKSa

The older style Ruger P-Series pistols in DA/SA fit the description although the magazine releases push forward, not inward to release.

Oh, right! How could I forget. Thanks.

The Beretta PX-4 F model pistols also meet your requirements.

Yeah, most of the various Beretta incarnations do. Thanks -- appreciate the insight.

Shooters -- any others? You would think with the relative "success" of both the Walther PP series and the Beretta 92FS/M9 that there'd be more "copycat" firearms with regard to the manual of arms....

presspics

The 3rd Gen S&W autos can have the magazine disconnect removed so don't let that feature deter you from the S&W. Plus the S&W came in every size and every popular caliber so you can easily find one that will fit your needs.

steelbird

Don't know if it meets all your needs, as I haven't given it a full inspection, but what about Beretta's own update to the 92 series, the 90-Two?

sils79

Walthers P1/P38 and TPH meet your requirement, except for the mag release.

Walther P88 meets said requirements.

SHNOMIDO

This leads me to a question i had myself that i was going to make a thread about today. Ill make a new thread if i don't get an answer in here, but i might as well keep the boards less cluttered with similar threads. I dont know if the community prefers risking hijacking a thread, or multiple similar threads on page 1.

What about pistols nearly identical to the Beretta Tomcat? I want one for fun/plinking and also as a possible future carry/home defense weapon for multiple females in my life who have trouble racking slides.

Any under-priced Tomcat clones out there? or anything in .32 auto or .380 auto with a tip-up barrel?

Im looking for a price difference mainly.

Edit- some quick internet kung-fu turned up the taurus'es in .22/.25, which i was already aware of, and the bigger "Cheetah" in .380; the 86 with the tip up barrel, which i didnt know about.

Any less known manufacturers turning these out? seems like beretta has a monopoly on them, not counting the minor-minor caliber Taurus models. It's not really a problem i just wanted to open my options to other models to compare prices, but it seems theres only Beretta ones out there.

Last edited:

lechiffre

Walther P88 compact. (full size has a frame mounted de-cocker)

Walther PP Super.

Star Model 30 (does not de-cock)

Tanfoglio TZ-75

Llama Omni

Steyr GB

Mauser HSC Super (no external slide lock)

Browning BDA (made by Beretta)

Last edited:

MrIzhevsk

I'm surprised nobody has said the Tanfoglio/EAA Witness pattern or Baby Eagle/Jericho line of pistols.

Slide mounted decocker, double/single action, hammer fired, no magazine safety, and a grip magazine release.

Edit---whoops didn't see TZ-75 mentioned above.

Last edited: