Semi automatics for hunting

Photon Guy

Anybody hunt with semi automatic rifles? Is there any advantages to using a bolt action instead of a semi auto? I know some places don't allow semi autos to be used in hunting so you would have to use a bolt action if you're going to hunt with a rifle.

Pahoo

Sometimes !!!

Is there any advantages to using a bolt action instead of a semi auto?
This can be very subjective. By my measure, it all depends on what and where you are hunting. I have hunted "Semi" in deep woods and fast action. Then again when I hunted Wyoming and Colorado, I took bolt action only. I guess you might be in a better position to answer to your needs. ..... :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Most of my hunting, if I missed on the first shot, I'd not have had enough time for an aimed second shot from a semi-auto. Key word "aimed". If I only crippled with that first shot, I had plenty of time for a finishing shot.

Photon Guy

This can be very subjective. By my measure, it all depends on what and where you are hunting. I have hunted "Semi" in deep woods and fast action. Then again when I hunted Wyoming and Colorado, I took bolt action only. I guess you might be in a better position to answer to your needs. .....

Actually that's one of the main places I plan to go hunting, Colorado. So why do you use a bolt action while hunting there? Do they not allow semi autos for hunting on CO? I plan to hunt big game such as moose and bear although supposedly they have mostly black bears in CO not the really big brown bears.

Anybody hunt with semi automatic rifles?

Use too. Remington model 742 carbine in 30-06. Don't believe its cycled more than 3 box's of shells in its lifetime. Bought it new in 68. Rifle was retired long ago. Too loud of a report for my liking. Squeeze that carbines trigger just once. Guaranteed your ears will ring all night.

I don't think so. A rifle is a rifle. The real difference between the two Actions is how accomplished its shooter is.

I know some places don't allow semi autos to be used in hunting so you would have to use a bolt action if you're going to hunt with a rifle.

Not in my local. Our DNR is pretty liberal. Lever's, semi's, pumps & bolts are welcomed in this State. Where the DNR draws the line is cartridges & shotshell use. 30 cal. M1 carbine having a lead Tip bullet is the least powerful center fire allowed for Big Game hunting here.

458winshooter

Semi auto or bolt

I have a Remington 742 in 30-06 I also have several bolt and lever guns.I would say that the only difference is that follow up shots would be quicker with the semi but the bolt gun will likely be more accurate especially at longer ranges.

Dirty_Harry

For hunting out west the bolt has the advantage. Bolt actions tend to be more accurate, and longer shots are more common. The biggest advantage in my opinion though it weight. A bolt action tends to be lighter and it is a lot more forgiving when you jump it around all day.

I use a semi auto in Michigan. Shots are rarely over 75 yards and I sit in a blind or a stand. Any walking I do is minimal.

michaeldarnold

First deer I killed was with a 742 in .308 that I borrowed from my brother in law. Now I use a 700 in 7mm Rem Mag. Both are fun to shoot, but the 700 is mine. Really have no preference, but the .308 had less recoil.:D

Last edited:

jmr40

To my knowledge Pennsylvania is the only place where semi-autos are not legal for big game hunting.

Realistically there isn't any advantage to using one in most big game cartridges, and a lot of disadvantages. The only alleged advantage is faster repeat shots. Yes, you can empty a 5 shot magazine faster with a semi-auto than any other action type. But if you put the requirement that all 5 shots must hit a target there is very, very little difference between semi's, pumps, levers or bolt actions.

I've tested the theory by forcing myself to hit a 9" paper plate at 50 yards with all action types. I can put 3 shots on target with a bolt gun in right at 4 seconds. With all other action types about 3.5 seconds. When shooting very light recoiling cartridges such as a 223 from an AR rifle they are a bit faster.

Pumps are interesting and levers have a lot of history, but give me a bolt gun for performance on big game. All else being equal they are the lightest, most accurate, most reliable, cheapest, and the simplest design. And by a wide margin.

Semi's are much more sensitive to ammo pressure in order to function. And to a lesser degree so are pumps and lever actions. Bolt rifles will feed and function with loads over a much wider range of pressure levels. Stay with factory loads and most semi's are OK. But for a reloader bolt guns offer a lot more versatility.

I have and use AR's. For varmints such as coyote they are not a bad choice. With good bullets they are an adequate deer gun, but not the best option.

HiBC

I'm cool with the preferences of others.I hunt with someone who is a one rifle kind of guy.He carries a very heavy,very accurate AR-10 T in .308.
I witnessed him make a one shot lasered 635 yd kill on a pronghorn.The bullet hit within 3 in of his point of aim.
I laugh at him.I ask "Why to you lug that pig around?.You shoot well enough to carry a Ruger #1single shot"

And,in fact,for the shot that counts,They are all single shots.IMO,in matters of cartridges available,weight,stock geometry,accuracy,good triggers,etc,a bolt rifle puts together a pretty hard to beat package.
Even a single shot bolt rifle.

When hunting,if I hear a single shot fired,I think "Good for him/her!! " Tag filled.

Semi,bolt,pump,lever? Who cares.

And when I hear "Boom,Boom,Boom,Boom,Boom".....I do not have any positive or respectful thoughts.
I hope for 5 clean misses,I imagine a panic idiot flinging noise at a fleeing animal.I hope for the well being of the animal.
Once again,action type? Who cares.

Focus is in the wrong place.Don't focus on the wonder gun.A Ruger #1 single shot in 7x57 Mauser or 30-40 Krag will do the job if the hunter does his/hers.

But if you want to carry an AR-10 T or an M1 Garand,you are OK by me.

Sort of depends on what you are hunting and how. I do hog and predator control on 4 properties. For sounders, semi-auto has a big advantage for me. For coyotes and bobcats, not-so-much. ...meaningless for squirrels and beaver as well.

I sometimes hunt with a bolt gun and with a lever gun. When you want/need speed and to be staying on target and ready to fire, a semi-auto holds a real advantage over bolt guns for most people.

A good semi-auto will be every bit as accurate as a good bolt gun.

Bolt guns tend to be a lot lighter in weight. That is a huge consideration for some folks.

603Country

For years I used a BAR in 270. Shot great with hand loads. But, it's the first shot that counts, and for the sake of reloadable brass I finally went to a bolt action.

The fastest shooting I ever did was 3 deer, two of which were running, in about 10 seconds - using a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington.

In 50+ years of deer hunting I never lost a deer due to a slow second shot with a bolt action. With coyotes and pigs however, I can remember several times that I could have shot a couple more if I'd had a semi-auto.

Gunplummer

I usually take a "Shorti" Ar along when I go to WV. In really crappy weather I poke around in the laurel with it. It is just plastic and aluminum, so the soaking really does not do anything to it. Other than that, I really do not see much difference in what you carry.

bamaranger

Ruger .44

I hunt a Ruger .44 carbine, the early tube feed model, a bit every season. The rifles are short and light, and lend themselves to thick cover, broken ground, and use with a climbing treestand. Actually, I have two of them, one with low posred 'scope, the other with XS peep system. This past season, I killed 3 bucks with the stubby carbines.

In two instances, the advantage of a quick repeat shot were advantageous. On those occassions, the bucks went by quickly at less than 20 yds, and there was no stopping them. In each instance, I hit limbs between me and them, and shot again quickly. The second shot landed in both cases. I do not advise throwing lead at moving deer, and that was not the way I planned it, but it shook out that way those times. I do not believe I could have cycled a bolt fast enough to get a second shot on either instance, as cover and terrain were against me.

But....the reason I hunt the semi .44's is not so much there fast repeat shots, as it is that they are extremely light and portable. The only carbine lighter in my battery is a Marlin .357, and I'd rather hunt the .44 on deer.

Photon Guy

To my knowledge Pennsylvania is the only place where semi-autos are not legal for big game hunting.
There's also New Jersey. In New Jersey you can only hunt with shotguns, muzzleloaders, or bows.

Mobuck

I started out hunting with a Rem 742 in 30/06. It worked well enough until I got into coyote hunting and found the combination didn't work as well for smaller targets at longer ranges. Traded the 30/06 for a bolt action .243 but found that didn't work as well on deer so borrowed another 742 in 30/06 for deer.
I currently hunt deer with bolt actions but do have a pair of 742's in the locker. I use an AR for coyotes unless the range or wind conditions dictate something more suitable.
I guess the limiting factor(in my case) for "hunting with a semi-auto" is the capability of either the platform or the cartridge. My bolt actions are usually only limited by my personal skill.

taylorce1

Photon Guy said:
Actually that's one of the main places I plan to go hunting, Colorado. So why do you use a bolt action while hunting there? Do they not allow semi autos for hunting on CO? I plan to hunt big game such as moose and bear although supposedly they have mostly black bears in CO not the really big brown bears.

Well you should really do more research about moose and bear hunting in Colorado. If you want to hunt moose in Colorado you'd better start applying now, it take a minimum of three years to draw a tag. Then after applying for three years you'll only at best have around a 1% chance of drawing a bull moose tag as a non resident and 2% for residents.. I've applied for 15 years now and still haven't drawn a moose tag.

Bear hunting is hit or miss in Colorado, there is no spring hunting, baiting, or using dogs in Colorado. Plus there is only fall hunting, but you can usually pick up an over the counter bear tag while elk hunting in case you get lucky. While we do have big black bears on occasion, you'll more than likely run into the bears weighing less than 200 lbs.

If you want to hunt both of these species you might want to apply elsewhere as well. Colorado is a great destination if you're wanting to hunt Elk and Mule deer on a DIY or guided hunt, but not so great for bear and moose. Several states offer better black bear opportunities and I'd look to AK or Canada for moose hunting.

As far as semi-auto rifles go for hunting the main detraction for most people is the weight. Semi-autos are usually heavier than most bolt action rifles, and this is especially important if you're hunting where weight can be an issue. Most states limit the magazine capacity on semi-autos for big game hunting as well to six rounds or less.

Last edited:

TimSr

Do they allow semi-autos for ANY hunting? Like waterfowl with semi-auto shotgun?

I do use an SKS for hog hunting knowing that any shots will be close, and there is the potential for multiple targets at once. Not legal for Ohio deer, but I can see where it might be handy in eastern and southern heavy vegetation states.

I can't imagine any plusses for semi-autos where scopes, and distances are a factor, such as most western hunting, other than less felt recoil, but I think I'd much prefer lugging around my Model 70 over my M1 or M1A.

doofus47

I sometimes use an AR in 7.62x39 when hunting in dark timber for deer.

That said, a short action bolt rifle is pretty darn light with a long-range punch that my AR can't match. And the first shot is the most important, so semi- is sort of admitting your first shot might not be good enough. I am willing to admit that in dark timber with limited sight distance.