semi auto vs revolver

Z400ACDC

I have carried a 9mm or a .45 auto for years. Is there a reason to switch to a revolver? I am looking at a Ruger 357 magnum.

Smokey Joe

Another plus...

No chasing empty brass all over the range, if you reload (which you should anyhow, but that's a whole nother question.)

Webleymkv

Generally, you can get a better power-to-size ratio in a revolver. With a major brand (S&W, Ruger, Colt) you will typically have a wider variety of aftermarket grips to taylor the gun to fit your hand than with most autos. A good quality revolver will typically have a smoother DA trigger than most DA autos. A misfire is remedied by another pull of the trigger. A small, concealed hammer revolver can be fired from inside or under a garment such as a coat without jamming should such action be necessary. A revolver cannot be pushed out of battery like most locked-breech autos can. A revolver is simpler should a member of your family such as a spouse or child who is not as familiar with firearms need to use it. A revolver can typically function with a much wider variety of ammunition (wadcutters, shotshells, cast lead, etc.). I've yet to see an auto that looked this good.

Nickgunphotos003.jpg

I agree with everyone that says you will get a more powerful gun with a revolver, as well as the most reliable platform available.

I own a lot of carry sized autos but I always seem to end back up carrying a small revolver. It just feels right. :)

Plus, "is that a .357magnum in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?" just sounds more flattering than "is that a .40S&W semi-automatic pistol in your pocket or...?" :D

Flat Tire

Oh shut up !!!!! you need both and you need a few of each- it is not something to lose any sleep over- even if it takes a few years to get what you want-

Wuchak

No reason to switch if you are happy with what you are carrying. If you are going to add a revolver to your carry options I suggest looking at a compact hammerless in 38+p or .357. Add CT grips and a pocket holster and you have one of the handiest CCW's available. Great as primary or backup in all weather.

charleym3

Is there a reason to switch to a revolver?
If you're talking about a carry gun you should carry what you have absolute faith in. For me, that is a revolver most of the time.
The revolver gives me the ability to load powderpuff or serious power in the same cylinder. My carry gun is a 45ACP revolver. For me, it's perfect.

Keltyke

Is there a reason to switch to a revolver? I am looking at a Ruger 357 magnum.

Not unless you're dissatisfied with the 9mm and .45 ACP. Both are good SD rounds. You didn't say what pistols you have, but there are VERY reliable models in both calibers.

Shoot and carry what feels best to you and what you're most accurate with.

All that being said, I'm a 100% fan of the .357 magnum as a SD round.

AZAK

I have carried a 9mm or a .45 auto for years. Is there a reason to switch to a revolver?

Many reasons to switch. Many reasons to stay. Lots of variables to play with here.

I agree with the thought to use what works best for you. (This would include reliability.)

I myself usually carry a semi in 10mm, but do occasionally carry a revolver. I like both. Just a little harder to conceal a 10mm revolver, S&W 610 for example and maybe the only example in 10mm, than a G29.

For me it usually comes down to the level of concealment that is required for the gun. My favorite carry revolver is a S&W pre-lock Model 60 snubby that carries a bit closer and tighter than my G29. If I want even deeper concealment, now I go to a pocket pistol/semi.

Do you WANT to switch to a revolver?

Do you feel that you NEED to switch to a revolver?

If you're happy with a semi-auto, why try to rebake the cake?

Huey Long

You'll have more powerful but less rounds at your disposal.

If you have it cut for moon clips, you can reload a revolver just as fast as an auto, if not faster.

IMO, a .357 mag cut for moon clips is quite possibly the ultimate civilian defensive weapon.

scorpion_tyr

Is there a reason to switch? Yes! You'll look funny if you quote Dirty Harry holding an auto.

Besides that the only reason to switch would be if you feel more confident and/or comfortable with a revolver.

+1 to Webleymkv
+1 to longeyes

cole k

Quote:
I have carried a 9mm or a .45 auto for years. Is there a reason to switch to a revolver?

Quote:
Many reasons to switch. Many reasons to stay. Lots of variables to play with here.

I agree with the thought to use what works best for you. (This would include reliability.)

I myself usually carry a semi in 10mm, but do occasionally carry a revolver. I like both. Just a little harder to conceal a 10mm revolver, S&W 610 for example and maybe the only example in 10mm, than a G29.

For me it usually comes down to the level of concealment that is required for the gun. My favorite carry revolver is a S&W pre-lock Model 60 snubby that carries a bit closer and tighter than my G29. If I want even deeper concealment, now I go to a pocket pistol/semi.

I agree.
I've got both and carry both semi's and revolvers.
For me the only semi's than worked well and that I liked were the 1911 and the Browning Hi-Power.
I never felt a need for a hi-cap 9mm.
As I got older I started carrying a S&W J-Frame. Recoil can be petty bad with a S&W M60 .357 Mag unless you you have good set of grips but you can always use .38+P's in it.
What I find myself carrying most is a S&W M637 Airweight.

The Great Mahoo

There's no need to switch to a revolver, unless you are doubting your auto's all of a sudden.

I have both, and carry both. My daily carry is usually a Glock .45acp, but I often switch to my Taurus 651 .357mag. I like the simplicity of the revolver (which a glock replicates to some degree) and I find I can conceal it better, but I am a better shot with my auto's.

I have more faith in a wheel gun, but enough faith in my auto's that I am not afraid to carry them, especially since I seem to shoot better with them.