Semi auto for a lefty

KBP

Looking for advise on a reliable compact semi-auto pistol for a lefty. 9mm seems my choice for a concealed carry pistol. Lots of cheap ammo for target practice. Don't want to be handicapped with a safety made for right handed shooters! Any suggestions from other leftys would be great! Thanks!:confused:

Fishbed77

The Walther P99c (at least the newer ones) has an ambi slide release, in addition to the ambi mag release (which it has always had).

BeachHead

Most guns out there will have a bias toward right-handed shooters. That's just the way it is. But being a southpaw isn't so bad. Using the slingshot method to drop the slide, and pressing the magazine release with your strong hand's index or middle finger can help a lot, making the right-hand friendly controls a moot point when shopping for a new gun.

But off the top of my head, HK's newest offerings (P2000, P30, HK45) are completely ambidextrous with slide and magazine releases on either side of the frame. S&W's M&P has an ambi slide release and reversible mag release.

labhound

Ruger SR9c, ambi thumb safety and ambi mag release. Owners manual says to slingshot the slide to chamber a round.

kinoons

I use the walther PPS for daily carry -- ambi mag release, and I've never used the slide lock lever to release the slide -- I've always been a sling shot guy even though I'm right handed.

An even more friendly to leftys pistol is a HK P7M8. Ambi mag release. Squeeze cocker is ambi. Squeeze cocker also releases the slide, so that's ambi as well.

Caz83

FNP, FNX 9mm,.40, .45 da/sa are fully ambidextrous slide stop, safety/decocker and magazine release.

STI GP5, GP6 are fully ambi da/sa with no decocker.

1911 w/ ambi safety is farely ambidextrous. I am lefty and own 2. A 3" para carry 9 and Dan Wesson guardian and use my index finger to manipuilate the slide stop and mag release w/ ease. Some even switch the mag release to the other side to use their index finger so to keep the correct grip while pressing it.

Kreyzhorse

Most guns out there will have a bias toward right-handed shooters. That's just the way it is. But being a southpaw isn't so bad. Using the slingshot method to drop the slide, and pressing the magazine release with your strong hand's index or middle finger can help a lot, making the right-hand friendly controls a moot point when shopping for a new gun.

+1. Don't feel, that as a lefty you have to have a left handed set up gun. As the post points out, you can over come a right handed set up pretty easily.

My carry guns are a Glock 22, a Ruger LCP and a Springfield 1911. While the 1911 has an ambi safety, the Glock and Ruger are DA guns without a true safety. I can drop the mags on any of them using my index finger.

X_shooter

I side with caz83. I have adapted, but prefer mag release and safety to be ambi. My 1911 has an ambi safety and my XDm has an ambi mag release. I don't even notice and slide release is unused as I rack the slide. I kinda wish I had full ambi like the FN's, but then I would have to adapt again. At my position in life I am no longer settling. I bought two true lefty rifles this year as well as an ambi shotgun. Heaven to me.

nodule

ok

Why try to adapt and adjust to a righty pistol when there are truely several
GREAT choices for the lefty shooter, like myself, with FULL ambidextrous controls!

Why not be completely natural and comfortable with your pistol if you are
a lefty?

The awesome choices are...Beretta PX4 Storm, 92FS and the M9, CZ 85,
HK USP, HK P30, FNP and FNX line. All FULLY ambidextrous!

I myself am currently leaning towards purchasing the CZ 85 9mm.

Ringolevio

3 classics for a southpaw

My 2 favorite carry pieces came from the factory equipped with ambidextrous safeties:

1) Model 1991 SS Colt Combat Commander
2) KBI P-35 (Hungarian-made BHP clone)

Next up after those would be my Series 70 Gov't Model in satin nickel with black grips, trigger, slide release, safety lever, magazine release and grip safety. It's probably the closest I have to a "barbecue gun" or "court gun". I had my gunsmith install ambidextrous safety levers, which are stainless steel; it was a pretty simple job and cost about $50. Too late, I realized that it diminished the value, should I ever want to sell it. But it sure makes it easier to carry and shoot, and I've never yet sold a gun.

My very first 1911, a 1927 Colt Sistema, has only a right-handed safety. I learned how to work the mag release left-handed, and it isn't a problem on that or the others. But maybe I should have an ambidextrous safety put on it; that wouldn't diminish the resale value, because the gun has very little resale value (although it runs great -- even though one of my instructors said it felt as if it had a 60 lb. trigger!).

I'd sure like to have an ambidextrous safety on my Colt Mustang, my favorite for deep concealment. But my gunsmith told me that would be a problem.

Last edited:

BeachHead

Why try to adapt and adjust to a righty pistol when there are truely several GREAT choices for the lefty shooter, like myself, with FULL ambidextrous controls!

a lefty?

The awesome choices are...Beretta PX4 Storm, 92FS and the M9, CZ 85,
HK USP, HK P30, FNP and FNX line. All FULLY ambidextrous!

Because that's only a handful of guns. The OP can choose from so many more if open to the idea of simply adapting to the right-hand setups by using the techniques I've mentioned. It's really not that difficult.

Want to own a Sig, Mr. Lefty? Well....you CAN!!

ClydeFrog

Popular ambi/left hand friendly semi-auto pistols...

Good brands with ambi controls include;
the HK P2000/P2000sk, P30, HK45, HK45compact, the Beretta PX4 Storm ambi type compact pistol, the SR9c or SR40c, the EZ9, the Walther P99, the S&W Military and Police line.
For home protection or concealed carry, I suggest the DA only format(HK/LEM).
Walther used to offer a ambi style slide release as a factory add-on for the P99 pistols.
Many savvy handgun shooters like the old school HK P7 & Walther P5/P88 models too.
As for calibers, I'd buy & carry a .357sig. It's a lot like a .357magnum in a 9x19mm pistol format. ;)
The .357sig offers higher KE levels and it feeds great in most well made firearms. The US Secret Service, Federal Air Marshals(FAMs) & Texas DPS have packed .357sig sidearms for many years.
ClydeFrog
ps; I, too am a left-hander. :)

Kreyzhorse

Why try to adapt and adjust to a righty pistol when there are truely several GREAT choices for the lefty shooter, like myself, with FULL ambidextrous controls!

a lefty?

Because that's only a handful of guns. The OP can choose from so many more if open to the idea of simply adapting to the right-hand setups by using the techniques I've mentioned. It's really not that difficult.

+1. I hate to use the word "adapt" because like the quoted post says, most right handed guns are very easy to use for a lefty. It's not so much as adapting as it is getting familiar with the gun.

I'll be the first to admit that sometimes, left handed items are a must. I play guitar and play left handed ones, I hunt and own a left handed bolt action. None of my handguns are set up for lefty because I've never had any issues with right handed guns.

StrawDog

Call it adapt, learn or whatever you want, fact of the matter is left-handed people need to get good at it. Often it is a simple matter of practice and some thought. For example, I believe that the slide release on just about every pistol I've ever shot is worthless. I sling-shot out of habit and believe this to be more reliable way to chamber a round. It closes with a little more force.

The extra controls can in fact make a gun less reliable. For example, the double mag release on the HK P30 will take some getting used to. Try quick transitions of you index finger from the slide down to the trigger. See if you release the mag by accident. With practice this should not be a concern.

03clyde

Avid shooter years back - dyed in the wool lefty - never had a problem with semi-autos or wheel guns, still don't.

balance

I'm a lefty, and own a Walther P99, a Walther PPQ, and an H&K P30. All three are excellent pistols that are pretty well suited for a lefty. I like having the controls set up for me, and not someone else. I just happen to be lucky enough to shoot these ambidextrous pistols better than any right handed pistol I've tried.

HBoswell

You might want to look at a Bersa UC9. They are compact, all steel and have a hammer-drop safety and slide release on both sides and the mag release is reversible. It is a very high quality weapon with a reasonable price and really is worth a look. Cabela's has them most of the time for around $430, but they can be a little hard to find do to high demand and low supply.