Semi-auto Fit

OPC

I recently took the AZ CCW course & the instructor sent out some info regarding how to select a handgun. As I read through it, I realized that none of my handguns met the 'fit' criteria he mentioned like how far fingers should wrap around the grip.

So, question: When evaluating a semi-auto for 'fit', what are some of the things you look for and what are your criteria for good fit?

Examples:
Grip circumference
Reaching the slide stop without having to shift your grip
Reach to magazine release without having to shift your grip

dwatts47

Grip circumference

I don't worry about the magazine release, I have pretty short fingers and must shift even a 1911 to reliably dump the mag with my thumb.

The slide stop, I can reach most with no issues at all with my strong side thumbl.

The grip circumference goes like this, If I can get a proper grip (ripple of flesh behind and under the slide, can put my trigger finger in proper place without rolling my hand... so the gun stays perfectly in line with my forearm, then I call it a 'fit'.

crazy charlie

I don't know what CCW means.
If it's a combat course I've never took one that advocated one hand shooting where you had to readjust your grip to do what your non shooting hand could do.
That being said, I like something with a comfortable feel that has a natural point of aim.

Slopemeno

You shouldnt have to shift your grip to hit the slide release, since you should be using your weak hand thumb.

As far as your mag release, I'd put more emphasis on having my reloading skills fine tuned to be 100% on the reload, not blazing fast. I have short fingers and I found if I just pulled my gun back sightly from its firing position I could reach the mag release without issues, and without breaking my grip.

I agree on grip circumference- Thinner grips help on something like a 1911. I built a couple of 1911's with grip reductions and I have to say a I really liked how they handled. We would thin out the frontstrap, checker it 40 lpi, and alter the BT/MSH, and contour them to reduce the girth.

dwatts47

You shouldnt have to shift your grip to hit the slide release, since you should be using your weak hand thumb.

That is a waste of time for me... I have trained for years to release my slide with my thumb, I'm faster at it than most people I've met and it have become absouletly a reflexive action with trained in muscle memory that won't go away with loss of motor skills like trying to hit it with my other hand's thumb.

I use my weak hand thumb on a 1911 or HK usp if that's what I was shooting, but all other are release as stated above.

MLeake

Use weak hand for slide release?

Why would I do that? I can operate all controls, be they safety, decocker, slide stop, or mag release (and for that matter, cock the hammers on my DA's) with my strong hand thumb. The only action of the above listed that might make me shift grip would be the hammer cock, which I don't really bother with anyway.

My point is, I can manipulate everything on my C3, P220, or 92 with my strong hand, so why add the complicating factor of a weak hand, which may not be available in a fight anyway?

It's nice to have long fingers, sometimes...

MLeake

Comfortable grip, for me

A few things affect whether a grip is comfortable.

1) Does it fill my hand, so I have a positive grip (IE recoil control, pointability, no slippage). My M18 grip was too small, but a Tyler T-Grip fixed that problem. My Super Blackhawk required the replacement of stock grips with a fingergroove Hogue.

2) Can I get a good purchase on it with my little finger? If you do grappling arts or practice with swords at all, you learn that your strongest grip is between thumb/hand and little finger. Ring finger has next strongest grip, then middle. Index is, of course, on trigger. But if my little finger won't fit on the grip, I won't like shooting the gun.

3) Is the trigger reach comfortable, or does it cause me to bend my trigger finger and/or hand into an awkward shape? The same long fingers that allow me to manipulate all controls on my semiautos one-handed make it a really unpleasant experience for me to operate a pistol with a short trigger reach.

4) Is the grip angle natural, or does it cause me to point high, low, or to the side? For instance, I really have to work to shoot a Glock accurately. If I focus, I can shoot them very well, but I find the grip angle uncomfortable. I prefer the 1911 type grip. My Beretta points well for me, too. The Super Blackhawk doesn't point as well for me, so aiming takes a fraction longer.

sholling

Grip circumference
There's enough hot air in this business to float a rather large balloon. The proper grip circumference is whatever gives you enough control. It sounds like the guy teaching the course had the hands of a line backer and lacked the common sense to realize that most people don't.

I have medium sized hands and short stubby fingers. I was trained to release the magazine with my weak hand thumb. That's what works best for most people. Some (weapon allowing) reverse the magazine release and drop it with their trigger finger. I personally like the idea but until all of my weapons work that way I won't make the change.

With service sized pistols I think that most people also use their weak hand to either release the slide stop or slingshot the slide.

Slopemeno

Scholling- may I ask who trained you to use your weak hand to dump the mag?

I shot club matchs for five years at the club rate (FWIW) master class level, about A-class USPSA level, and I can't say I saw any successful shooters use that technique.

The reason for using the left thumb to release the slide is because its *right there* for a right handed shooter who has just inserted a mag.

PM Lurper and ask him what technique he uses. He's a pretty amazing shooter if youve ever seen his videos.

sholling

Scholling- may I ask who trained you to use your weak hand to dump the mag?
PM with name sent.

It wasn't a competition course. More of a social work type approach. The problem with trying to use the strong thumb is that many of us have to pretty radically shift our grip to do it. I wear a size medium glove. The very tip of my thumb barely clears the grip panels of my 1911s. I'd have to shift my thumb a good 1/2" to dump the mag. If you have a better method then hey I'm all ears.

OPC

Thanks for the replies. It is interesting to know some shooters do use their weak hand to actuate the slide stop/release and sometimes the mag release. It was because I could not comfortably reach the slide release that I have held off on a 1911-style firearm. I even thought about those over-sized after-market levers.

teifmen1948, I would not have purchased my USPs (45acp, Full size & compact) if I had gone by his criteria. Neither do my 92FS nor my Buckmark meet his fit recommendations. I have no problems shooting any of these firearms and think I am a decent shot (2-3" at 10yds and 8" at 25yds, 5"@25yd on a good day) :D. Nothing special, but nothing to make me believe I should sell them all and start over. :p

In short, I do not recall ever having held or shot a semi-auto that met all his recommendations for fit. I believe he was over-thinking it a bit & thought it would make for interesting discussion.

OPC

HappyGunner wrote:
If you can hold your present handgun as Todd shows in this video your good to go no matter what that guy told you.

Thanks, I've seen this video before. Todd rocks! My consistency really improved after I saw this video & started applying his recommendations.