Selling Guns?

Samueul

I have several guns in my collection that, though I like, I never shoot. Thinking about selling them and just sticking the cash in savings or investing. Anyone have an opinion? Part of me thinks that the pistols themselves are a hedge investment as I could always sell if i need money. I currently do not feel that I "need" money, but my take is that if I'm not deriving anything from the pistols just sitting, maybe collecting a little interest on the money from a sell isn't a bad thing?

BILLDAVE

Investing in guns.

If you think you will get a better return on your money in a savings account(2%) or a Spider stock (S&P derivative) you need to rethink. If you buy or have quality or collectable guns(SAA, Lugers, or a Yellow Boy, and I can think of twenty more) I think your looking at a equal or higher rate of return. WVsig I disagree with you. Ask a guy who bought a Python six years ago if he thinks it was a good investment. Other than getting into Bonds or Commodities your rate of return is nominal compared to guns. The Stock market has had a good run, but is nothing more than a Ponzi Scheme. Keep them and if you bought a quality piece at a good price I think you will do fine.
BILLDAVE

oneounceload

Very few guns exceed the rate of inflation over time, yet the stock market (and bond market) will and do return more money.

I'd be looking at energy, technology and gold at this time for investing, not standard guns

Samueul

My train of thought was PM's, primarily silver as it seems to have more room to go up over time than Gold, but I am by no means an expert. I was even thinking about just putting the money into my daughters 529... The guns I am considering are good guns (glocks etc.) but hardly what I would call "collectibles".

WVsig

Very few guns exceed the rate of inflation over time, yet the stock market (and bond market) will and do return more money.

I'd be looking at energy, technology and gold at this time for investing, not standard guns

Exactly... most will not beat the rate of inflation. With guns there is no compounding interest. There will be no dividend reinvestment. Even a S&P index fund over a period of 7 to 10 years is going to beat 99% of guns.

Only a few guns go up in value and that is if they are not shot and sit in a safe. People constantly propagate the myth of guns as investments.

aarondhgraham

I can't tell if they are a good investment or not,,,

I have never (well, almost never) failed to get my money back on a gun,,,
Sometimes I had owned it so long that inflation takes effect.

A gun I bought in the 60's for 50 dollars,,,
If I sell it in the 90's for 100 bucks did I lose money?

All I know is I have always (almost always),,,
Experienced some amount of sellers remorse after selling a gun,,,
But in the past I've had to sell guns to make a car payment or feed myself.

Just yesterday I sold a gun to a friend,,,
Because she shot it n a class and really liked the performance.

I liked the gun very much,,,
But I didn't take it to the range that often,,,
So I sold it to her at a good price and am buying a new Beretta Cheetah.

In this case I think the sellers remorse will be easy to deal with.

Basically my opinion is this,,,
If you get enjoyment from owning the guns, then keep them,,,
If you think you will get more enjoyment out of having cash in the bank, sell them.

Genuine collectable antiques will only go up in value,,,
Common guns will always have value but won't increase much past the inflation rate.

It's a dilemma,,,
One that there is no stock answer to.

Aarond

WVsig

A gun I bought in the 60's for 50 dollars,,,
If I sell it in the 90's for 100 bucks did I lose money?

Yes compared to another "investment." You would have made more than $50 if you put that into something with compounding interest. Using the rule of 72 you made 2.4% on that gun....

Last edited:

BILLDAVE

Over the last ten years the S&P has lost money(1991 bubble). When interest rates were high yes you could do well. I own a 1911 mfg. 1918. Paid $200 in the early 90's it is now worth at least 5K with no volatilty. I'm not saying there are not better investments if your smart. All that I'm saying is that guns can be good investments. If you buy a Astra or some non-collectable then no, but I did qualify it. Wvsig I think your statement was vauge in the least. But I still thing is is incorrect. I'm not even going to go in bank failures. The 72 rule doesn't work so well when the bank fails. You making these assumtion given all things in the economy remain constant. Which as we know does not happen. How did your financial rules apply in the Great Depression? They guy with the gun got money in 1929 the guy with the savings book got toilet paper.
BILLDAVE

WVsig

Over the last ten years the S&P has lost money(1991 bubble). When interest rates were high yes you could do well. I own a 1911 mfg. 1918. Paid $200 in the early 90's it is now worth at least 5K with no volatilty. I'm not saying there are not better investments if your smart. All that I'm saying is that guns can be good investments. If you buy a Astra or some non-collectable then no, but I did qualify it. Wvsig I think your statement was vauge in the least. But I still thing is is incorrect. I'm not even going to go in bank failures. The 72 rule doesn't work so well when the bank fails. You making these assumtion given all things in the economy remain constant. Which as we know does not happen. How did your financial rules apply in the Great Depression? They guy with the gun got money in 1929 the guy with the savings book got toilet paper.

:eek: You are making no sense.

You are using nothing but a red herring to attempt to prove your point. It shows poor logic and poor reasoning.

Anything can be a good investment but you are talking about .001 % of guns. The same could be said about the .001 % of almost anything. Far more real investments like stocks, bonds and metals yield more predictable more reliable returns.

Run the same numbers using Microsoft stock. LOL

Last edited:

GM1967

If you never shoot them and never sell them, then they are worthless.

If you aren't going to shoot them, by all means, sell them and buy something you will shoot. That's my plan, sell some guns to finance buying better guns

Stevie-Ray

Anything can be a good investment but you are talking about .001 % of guns. The same could be said about the .001 % of almost anything. Far more real investments like stocks, bonds and metals yield more predictable more reliable returns.
Oh that absolutely wrong. At least 90% of my guns are worth more than when I bought them. Some are worth 400% more. One thousandth of one percent? Maybe for someone who collects Hi-Points.

I wish my investments did as well as my guns.

BILLDAVE

Okay, You said they are a "horrible" investment choice not true. Lets look at it in another way. You have enjoyed a rather robust post WW2 economic boom. Past performance does not future preformance. My sister who is ten years older started buying homes in the early nineties. Everything they bought recived 5-7% per year returns. Now somebody who bought just say four years ago is at a negative rate of return. Now when you ask if them both is realestate a good return it was when it was in the right economy. I'm glad you had finace 101, but your naivety about what the markets hold over the next 10-15 is ridiculous. Poor logic and poor reasoning you are mislead. Furthermore, buying MSFT in the past would equte to buying one of the few that were a home run (your .001). Your economics is micro not macro. Keep doing what your doing and you will pay the same penalty as other short sighted investors. If you really want to invest look at the Yuan. You thought are mainstream misunderstandings. I owned a ton of QQQ back in the 90's they have just come back to value, however I wish I would have bought 10m Colt AR-15's. Please Sir with all respect please understand it is a Brave NEW World.
BILLDAVE

WVsig

Oh that absolutely wrong. At least 90% of my guns are worth more than when I bought them. Some are worth 400% more. One thousandth of one percent? Maybe for someone who collects Hi-Points.

Right and you collection = 100% of guns? 99% of guns sold in this country are disposable tools which will go down in value with use & abuse.

This is so pointless. I have never lost money on a gun. Most get sold for what I paid after shooting them. Others have gone up in unrealized value because I have not sold them. None of that makes my guns good investments.

WVsig

Furthermore, buying MSFT in the past would equte to buying one of the few that were a home run (your .001). Your economics is micro not macro.

Right just like your example of I have a $200 1918 which is now worth $5,000. Pot calling the kettle black.

You are still attempting to use a Red Herring to prove a logical point. This is the definition of poor logic. Your posts are nothing but a logically fallacy. Logic 101 demonstrates that your argument is invalid.

Try again. :D

mrgoodwrench76

I'm no expert on this matter but like everybody else, I sure have opinions :D. I purchased an SKS less than ten years ago for $100 that came with 500rnds of ammunition. That same SKS and ammunition combo now is worth $600 or so. 5 years ago I bought a Siaga shotgun for $169 that now sell for $5-700. As a personal rule, I dont sell any firearm that is reliable and functions as it should. I wouldn't say I see firearms as an investment but I sure see how they COULD be. And with the way we constantly lose firearm rights and they become harder and harder to get, I would hold on to every one I could. I sure wish my Father and the generations before him would have thought this way, I would have a much better firearm collection.

stu925

Here's my take on selling guns or gun related items. If I sell anything gun related that money goes into other gun stuff. Sell a gun, buy a different gun, sell reloading stuff, buy different reloading stuff. I don't sell guns to put money in the bank as a matter of fact I don't sell very many guns at all. I've only sold 1 gun outright and I regret that every day, trades or sell to buy I don't regret much at all.

Stu

larryf1952

+1

For years, I longed for a Python, but never could afford one. Then, back in about 1994, I stumbled onto an incredible deal for a pristine gun. I snapped it up and thought that my life long dream had finally come true. I thought I'd never sell it.

When Colt discontinued production and prices went up, I eventually stopped shooting it for fear of damaging it and degrading its value. So, it became a safe queen, never to be shot again. As such, its value became only sentimental. As I watched Pythons being sold for upwards of $1K, I realized that the only real value that my gun retained was that which it would bring me if I decided to sell it. Otherwise, it was worthless. I had a Colt Government Model Series 70 9mm with which I had also done the same thing.

Finally, I put them both up on Gunbroker and sold them well north of $1K each. They made me a tidy profit over their original purchase price. But, those were exceptions. I've also sold a few guns at a loss.

I don't view firearms as an investment, per se. I'm glad that the finer ones can be resold often times at a profit. But, I look for other ways to make money, not through my guns.

mrgoodwrench76

:confused::confused::confused:

Shy of a Lorcin 9mm and a Jennings .22, Ive never met a worthless gun. Reguardless wether or not you use it, its still worth what its worth. To the right person, under the right circumstances, it could be worth a lot.