Selling a handgun that has been altered?

chupps

I inherited an old S&W revolver. It has obviously been altered. The barrel is cut down to 3 inches and it looks like the grips have been replaced. I can not find a SN on the grips. I was going to sell the gun, but I was told that if there is no SN on the grips it could be illegal. What should I do with this gun? Can I legally sell it? Thanks

chupps

There is a number when I swing out the cylinder, but here is information I received that I am trying to verify:

On older S&W's, the only place the serial number appears ON THE FRAME is on the bottom of the grip frame. The numbers you see inside the yoke are meaningless assembly numbers. The other places the serial number appears (not legal for identification because it is not the frame and the parts are removable) are:
-cylinder face
-rearward face of yoke edge, as viewed through one of the chambers
-back side of ejector star
-bottom barrel flat
-back side of sideplate
-written in pencil on inside of right grip

Someone completely reshaped the grip frame which would require welding and grinding away the factory serial number. Unless they restamped the serial number on the butt (and only legal if they did it before 1968 when the laws changed), then you may have problems. If you can document that it has been in the family for a long time, and that the serial defacing was not done for criminal reasons, you should be able to get permission from the BATF to have it restamped. Any decent gunsmith would be able to do this (but would only be willing if they had proof it would be legal).

NavyLT

Sounds like you are going to be limited to selling it at a gun buy back program or turning it into the police. It's probably a felony if you get caught possessing it.

18 USC 922 (k):
(k) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to transport, ship, or receive, in interstate or foreign commerce, any firearm which has had the importer’s or manufacturer’s serial number removed, obliterated, or altered or to possess or receive any firearm which has had the importer’s or manufacturer’s serial number removed, obliterated, or altered and has, at any time, been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.

MTT TL

If you can get the serial number back maybe you can have it re-etched? I don't see a law prohibiting this. Don't know how much it would cost. If the area where the number was is GONE then I am guessing you are UTCWAP.
There are three methods for revealing missing serial numbers:

* Magnaflux method--The forensic scientist first magnetizes the firearm. Magnetizing produces ripples of magnetic forces used to locate where the metal is disordered from the pressure stamping process. He then sprays the firearm with an oil that suspends any iron-like particles. These particles tend to settle in places where the metal is disordered. This reveals the location of the hidden serial number. This method is advantageous because it is not destructive and does not change the weapon in any way.
* Chemical and electrochemical etching method--The forensic firearm examiner paints what is known as an etching solution over the area in question. The solution etches the disordered metal quicker than the metal around it. The numbers immediately come into view. Applying an electrical current (electrochemical etching) speeds up the process. This method is disadvantageous because it changes the physical makeup of the evidence. If the forensic scientist overindulges in this method, he can destroy the evidence for good.
* Ultrasonic cavitation method--This particular method is a destructive method like chemical etching. In this method, the forensic scientist puts the firearm in a special ultrasonic bath and inundates it with super high frequency vibrations. These vibrations produce the cavitation. Cavitation is the process when tiny bubbles are produced along the surface of the metal. With repeated exposure, the process of cavitation starts eating away at the metal. Cavitation will eat away metal in the places where the metal is disordered, thus revealing the serial number.