Sellier & Bellot ammo.

Fer

I would like your opinion on this ammo manufacturer. In my country at the moment I have two choices either Aguila ammo or S&B. I have shot both on my snub revo, the only difference is that S&B is a lot more cleaner to shoot, with Aguila I have clean my gun for about an hour to get all the unburned powder out of the gun. I am afraid that this s&B ammo is practice ammo and does apply for the self defence role.
What is your opinion? is it made by CZ?

tjhands

I think both of those brands are basically practice ammo. For defensive ammo, I'd fork out a few more bucks for some good hollow points like Winchester Silvertips, Federal Hydra-shocks, Speer Gold Dots, etc.

rapier144

Don't know who makes it but its great practice ammo. All i ever shot was their ball ammo so if you can hit your target then it would work in self defense to. Works in the military should work in your home to.Just not as effective as hollow points. I've never had a problem with it . I've shot around three of four thousand rounds of it. And maybe ten bad rounds out of that total.

springmom

I love S&B's wadcutter

....when I practice with my .38 special. As range ammunition it is terrific. It's cheap (cheap is good!) and it has never failed to fire. It's not really suitable for defense, but it is GREAT for target practice.

Springmom

Good range and plinking ammo. I've only had one problem shooting it so far. Seemed to have a hard primer. Second strike made it fire no problem.(9mm) I've heard S&B uses hard primers.

Old John

Love it

Hi Y'all,
We love it, for practice. We shoot it in 9mm, .45acp & 38spec.
Good cheap practice.
It ain't Winchester or Remmy, but it'll do......
Buy good hollow-points for carry tho.

Fer

Tjhands,

I live in Honduras, after the 9-11 atacks the US stoped all shipments of ammo and firearms to foreign countries. We use to be able to buy winchester, federal etc even firearms, no more US made firearms for us at least for now. We are a US allie we have many US military bases in our country the biggest US military airport in central america is in Honduras.
To bad that the desicion to cancel shipments applied to allied countries as well, I bet it is only for civilians because I still see M-16 and M-203 used by our army.:confused:

hIPSHOT33

I have shot S&B on several hunting trips to Germany and also here in the US . It
has never failed to kill game (deer & Wild boar )cleanly . Just because is cheep dose not mean it not good .

TX_RGR

S and B is Czech, but not made by CZ. it is what CZ uses to test fire all of their firearms. It is reliable and accurate from what I can tell. Nothing wrong with it at all. I would hesitate to call it performance ammo, though. I use it for practice. If I had to use it to defend myself I wouldn't feel defenseless. It is good quality ammo.

JR47

Sellier & Bellot manufactures a 115 gr. JHP round in 9mm. They don't list another JHP in their current catalog for civilians. There are a couple of SP loads.:)

DBski

I use S&B for the range, use federal hydro shock for defence. My springfield XD in 357sig does not like S&B, but it works fine in all my other firearms.

Fer

Thank you all for your feedback! I will go with S&B since it had the better reviews. It is important for all of us to notice how we can help each other on this forum, I am glad to be able to count with the advice of all of you my friends.

Fer

saniterra

I used S&B in 9mm, 357sig, 357mag and 40 S&W. All shoot really well in my revolvers and pistols, but the 158 gr. 357 mag ball looks like copper jacket but is actually steel. Indoor ranges often won't allow it to be used - they do a magnet check, generally to catch Wolf and others, but they get that one caliber (that I know of) S&B.

mfree

Only problem I've ever heard from S&B is the .357 sig loads, because they basically tried to reverse engineer the case and got it a little funny. From all accounts that's fixed now though.

I've shot quite a few of their offerings, and concur that it's good, cheap, relatively hot practice ammo.