Sellier and Bellot Ammo Subgun velocity cheap price

Master Blaster

I wanted to solicit some opinions on Sellier and Bellot ammo. I was looking at Eric's ammoman.com site and considering buying some 9mm anmmo for practice. I noticed the NATO subgun ammo that travels in excess of 1200 feet per second. I have heard people suggest that this high velocity ammo is the best for a glock 26 or any good 9mm.
The NATO ammo is $99 for 500 rounds. I then saw S&B ammo at $70.00 for 500 rounds and I went to the S&B website to check the ballistics. 115 gr. 1280 fps 4" barrell for S&B.

This seems to put it up into the +p catagory but the ammo is not marked +p and the S&B site says they confirm to SAAMI specs.

It would seem that this ammo is a good price and has good performance for a target load (my use).

Besides the lacquered primers what is wrong with S&B.

By the way I ordered some and got the usual 1 day great turnaround form AMMOMAN.COM they always provide.

I noticed the box had to specification numbers on it: UN 0012 (united nations?)
Ccz A0215 (CZech Army spec?)
Anyone know what this means?

Ragin Cajun

I now use S & B for range practice. Great stuff, IMHO. After firing all kinds of various brands, etc., I decided that the "savings" of using the cheap stuff isn't worth it in the long - and - short run. My carry ammo is - ahh, I ain't starting that thread here.

Mikul

No complaints about the S&B ammo. I've fired around 1,500 rounds of it, and it has been flawless.

The 1280 fps claim sounds bogus for the stuff I've gotten from Ammoman. If you fire a CorBon back to back with a S&B you WILL notice it and there's less than 100fps between them. In fact, S&B is the softest recoiling ammo that I've fired.

Master Blaster

The 1280 FPS figure comes from the S&B website. I'm curious abot the designations UN0012 and CczA0215 I think that these are military specs.

P

PreserveFreedom

I have shot S&B in 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, and 357 Magnum. No complaints here except that it sells out fast sometimes.

RWK

I've shot thousands of rounds of S&B ammo, mostly .45 ACP (230 grain FMJ). It is good target and plinking ammunition. I've had zero problems with it.

TEXAS LAWMAN

UN0012 is a designation indicating "explosive." U.S. DOT (Dept. of Transportation) regulates all hazardous materials (hazmat) shipments in the U.S. The United Nations has a board of chemical experts that has assigned a United Nations identification number (UNxxxx) to all hazmats regulated during highway, rail, air, water transportation. U.S. DOT uses these same UN ID numbers and additionally, uses NA (North American) ID numbers for chemicals regulated in the U.S. but for which the UN didn't assign a UN ID.

Usually, explosives have a four-digit number beginning with a zero (i.e., 0009 = Ammunition, incendiary (other than blah, blah, blah); 0297 = Ammunition, illuminating, with or without burster, expelling charge or propelling charge; 0362 = Ammunition, practice. etc).

UN ID numbers can be found in the old 1993 DOT EMERGENCY RESPONSE GUIDEBOOK, the 1997 NORTH AMERICAN EMERGENCY RESPONSE GUIDEBOOK, or the new EMERGENCY RESPONSE GUIDEBOOK 2000. All these books are a yellow/orange color and are referred to as the "yellow book" or "orange book" or "ERG" by emergency responders. All police cars, ambulances, and fire trucks in America should have a copy in their glove boxes. The UN/NA ID numbers are listed sequentially in the yellow pages of the ERG. But you won't find ID numbers for explosives there--they are intentionally left out. About the only place you can find ID numbers for explosives is in the BUREAU OF EXPLOSIVES 6000 (" BOE red book") (BOE is part of the Assoc. of American Railroads, Washington, DC).

This is probably lots more than you wanted to know about UN0012 but now you know the "rest of the story." By the way, I couldn't find UN0012 in any of my references. Wait, just found it--UN0012 = "Cartridges for weapons, other than blank." I've never seen UN0012 on any packaging for small arms ammo--and I've seen many, many packages of ammo.

Common UN ID numbers:
Gasoline = UN1203
Anhydrous Ammonia = UN1005
Chlorine = UN1017
Diesel = UN1993

P.S. Most small arms ammo is shipped as "cartridges, small arms" "ORM-D" = other regulated material, class D (rather than as a more highly-regulated explosive).

[This message has been edited by TEXAS LAWMAN (edited July 07, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by TEXAS LAWMAN (edited July 07, 2000).]

doctor j

I bought a bunch of S & B in .45 ACP and used it to qualify for my CCW. Works great in my 1991A1. Good stuff, no problems. Also bought a bunch of their 9mm. Same story, works great in my Taurus and my Kel-Tec. The .45 brass is good for reloading, also. Haven't tried to reload for the 9mm yet.