Sell to local gunshop?

Jeffenwulf

Hey guys and gals. I got a bit of an unwelcome surprise today when I headed to the local gunshop to see what I could get in trade for a Bersa Thunder UC .45 with the gold parts. The gunsmith took a peek at it, said it's about 98% and that he loved how smooth the slide was and promptly offered me $210 for it, purchase or trade. That barely offsets how much the rest of their merchandise is marked up. Now this is the first time I've ever attempted to sell a handgun, so this could be normal, but at this point I'm tempted to stop sending my business that way. The Bersas with gold parts aren't being made, so I would have thought that would be worth something. Additionally, they all seem to be going for anywhere from $350 to $400+. Was that a legit offer?

I'm not overly happy with it. It's a perfectly functioning gun in great condition, but it just doesn't do anything for me. I like .45 but I'm leaning towards a Glock30 since I love my G26. Would I be best served by trying to list it on Gunbroker or going through the forum on this site? I'm not overly comfortable about doing a face to face, I would prefer to go through an FFL just to limit my liability. Open to suggestions.

AK103K

Dealers usually offer about half of what they currently sell for if you sell to them, or towards a trade.

I usually put mine up for consignment in a shop that will do so, and usually make out a lot better. At least it will usually be closer to what you were hoping for.

jfrey123

The guy at the gunshop has overhead to maintain. Plus, it's a Bersa :eek:

If guns are selling for the $350 you've noticed, there is no way anyone could afford to buy it from you for anywhere near that, because that is what he needs to sell it at, and he knows it. Your guy might be factoring on pricing it for $300, and can only offer you the $210 for it. At that rate, he'd only be making $90 off of it after paying you the $210.

You're better off selling it ftf private party.

Jeffenwulf

Ok, looks like two votes for legit offer. Guess I overestimated what I should have gotten. Rookie mistake, I'll know what to expect next time.

homefires

Consignment ,is the best bet. Some will do it for 10 to 20%!:D Back ground fall on the buyer!

If there is a fault with the firearm, it will come back on you!

Consignment is better then trying to sell via add in the paper! You don't have weird people coming to your house and the people that are interested in it are of the better class of shooters I think! :cool:

Murdoch

I asked what I could get for a almost new Taurus 85 w/ CT grips, and the guy told me 250 like he was doing me a favor. That doesn't even cover the grips! I'll go private party, unless some shop will give me more on a trade, which I'm not holding my breath for.

elkman06

Not too far in the past I had a Savage 110 chambered in 300wm sporting a bedded Boyd's stock and weaver 4x scope. I had 480 in it. I consistently got offered no more than 350 for it by the gun shops and gunshow tables. Sold it FTF for 400. I would say you will lose anywhere from 30-50 percent in that type of sale compard to FTF.
Only reason I took the loss is that the wife was getting a little itchy since I had purchased 5 weapons in about 6 mos and I really wanted a new XD.
elkman06