Sell or keep?

dyl

If you had a 9mm steel-slide aluminum frame handgun that was
1) imported - so no spare firing pins/trigger springs available
2) has gone up in value so you could break even although its used
3) not your only 9mm service size handgun

Would you sell it and buy something with available spare parts?
Or would you keep it "just because" as a potential gift for relatives or a beater?

You see, I would just keep it as a beater but even then I'd prefer a beater with spare parts available. Believe me I have tried to locate spare parts and aside from a substitute mainspring from another handgun, there are none to be had.

dyl

And yes I have seen Cheapshooter's signature line but don't think it's an absolute truth necessarily.

P5 Guy

Sell

I'd sell that one and buy an easier to find parts for gun and/or not obsolete.
If there are no repair parts no matter how good the gun was it is obsolete.

carguychris

IMHO all potential personal gun sales should be first and foremost judged by two criteria.
  • How much I honestly like it... or not.
  • How easy and (relatively) expensive it would be to replace it if I regret the decision.
Regarding the second criteria, I would be much more hesitant to sell a Steyr GB than a Star 30PK, assuming I dislike them both equally. (I don't really own either; this is just hypothetical.)

BTW is this handgun a Star? ;)

dyl

carguychris - haha, no not a star sorry. This one is an import from a couple years a go - think Turkey + Croatia.

Redhawk5.5+P+

What's the question?

I know nothing about you, or you gun collection, let alone your mentality.

Sell it and give it ($$) to Mama. Feed the poor.:rolleyes:

wpsdlrg

#1 does it for me. NO spare parts availiable = gone..... to me, especially if I could get a reasonable amount for it.

TennJed

How much could you sell it for now? If you had that amount of cash in your hand would you buy the gun?

It is simple for me, if I would buy it again at the price I could sell it for then I keep the gun, if not I sell it. I just reverse the situation in my hand and think about what I woould do if I didn't have the gun but I had the $$

Cheapshooter

Off the top of my head I can think of at least a dozen trades/sales I have done over many years. Not a single one of them do I not regret!
Maybe not at the time, but as the years go by I wish I had them all back.

Sport45

It depends.

What gun are we talking about? Some 3rd world Saturday night special or a WWI Luger?

It makes a difference...

Parts for some guns in my safe can only be found at Numrich if they happen to have collected a donor. I'm keeping them anyway since they've been in the family for so long.

silvermane_1

dyl, why don't you just tell us what the gun is, then we can give you a better idea weather you should hold or sell, even if it's a gun they haven't made in 20-50 years, heck you might have a gun that one of your fellow members might have spare parts for or might even want to buy at your asking price.

Mobuck

I like to have two of anything I might have to depend on for an extended period of time. Having an oddball with little chance of finding important repairs is not in my playbook.

thedudeabides

What is this mystery gun that has no parts available for it?

Most good pistolsmiths can repair/replace just about any part.

Not to mention the availability of aftermarket parts.