Sell my Marlin 39a or not?

Crow Hunter

Guys

I have a Marlin 39a that I have had for several years. It is an actual Marlin, not a Remlin.

It is very accurate and has a wonderful trigger and is a very nice looking rifle. But I really don't actually shoot it that much. (Maybe less than 200 rounds since I bought it)

Just yesterday I took it out to shoot and I happened to have my M&P-15 22 with me at the same time.

Just on a lark, I shot them both at identical targets at the same range.

Both shot into nearly the same group at that range. (~45 yards) However, I did fire the Marlin 2x with the safety on, because I forgot to take it off. I actually, technically, forgot it was there.:eek::eek:

I am so used to shooting AR style rifles that flicking the safety off is pretty much 2nd nature to me when I look down the sights/optic.

I am seriously thinking about selling/trading the Marlin to get a 2nd S&W M&P-15 22 and put a small rimfire 1X4 or 2X7 scope on it. I'm not a big fan of magnified optics on lever action rifles.

I think I would get alot more enjoyment/use out of the 2nd M&P, and not be so worried about dinging it up, scratching it, and I will be much less likely to miss a squirrel/rabbit/etc dropping the hammer with the safety on.:rolleyes:

I do like the fact that it has quite a bit of drop on the stock so I don't have to hold over at closer ranges like I do with my M&P-15 22.

However, I know these rifles will never be available again (from the old factory) and I would hate to get rid of it and only later decide that I wished I had another one. Considering how long I waited to get this one the 1st time, I can't imagine trying to find another one.

Opinions?

What would you do any why?

huntinaz

It's a matter of preference. I love leverguns, but I HATE the crossbolt safety. Luckily my 39A is old and doesn;t have it. I personally would rather have the 39A over two M&P's but that's my preference. If two M&P's would make you happier, then go for it.

Single Six

On more than one occasion, I've sold a gun in order to buy a different gun. In almost every instance of doing this, I regretted it later. Ironically, the only exception to this was the time I sold my Marlin 1894SS .44 Mag. It was horribly unreliable; jammed constantly, even after sending it back to Marlin for repair. Got rid of it post haste. Anyhow, my 2 cents: Never sell or trade your guns [with kudos to Cheapshooter].

idek

I am not opposed to selling guns to get something I'd like better. I have sold some guns with NO regrets. However, the guns I sold are all ones I could replace easily enough.

As you said, you may have a hard time replacing the 39a if you choose to sell it.

Pahoo

All guns deserve a good home, but when ???

Eventually, all good guns should go to a better home. We will all have to decide when that is and make sure it is a good home. Always thought I'd pack one of my 39's next to me, in the ground. Decided that that surely is not the better home I had in mind so just going to take one of my old Bowies. . ;)

Between all the 39 varients, I have about eight, including a TDS. It's going to be a long time before I get rid of just one.. ... ;)

Be Safe !!

GeauxTide

Put some Skinner Sights on it and you'll have a born-again Marlin. Love my Mountie. You will forever regret selling it for a plastic piece.

Crow Hunter

I have just about decided to keep it.

Even if it does just reside in the back of the safe.

Could be like that 9422 16" bbl that I bought years ago.

I finally decided that it was just too small and loud for squirrel hunting and I put it on Gunbroker, hoping hoping to just get what I paid for it out of it. It went for $750 :eek:.

Picher

I sold my Mountie years ago because the top of the receiver was about 5 degrees off square and it drove me crazy!

Now I have a pre-Remlin 39A rifle, but it's got problems worse than an out-of-square action. The bore is rough, sometimes it fails to eject, and the iron sights are mounted off-center. The factory-D&T holes are out of line, so I had to slot the one-piece Weaver base to make it line up with the bore. The firing pin tip was too wide, causing inaccuracy and FTFs. However, I still like the rifle and the grand-kids LOVE it, so it will stay around for a while.

FloridaVeteran

I have a Golden 39-A that I bought new in 1957, best I recall. Safe queen for most of 50 years, but one of the grandkids will love it. Also have its predecessor, my first gun and a much older rifle still in great condition, longer octagonal barrel, 4-way iron sights. That one I might sell, if it brings enough.

Stressfire

Sell my Marlin 39a or not?

Please don't.

Having said that, if it is a toy that doesn't bring you joy anymore or is a utility rifle that is no longer useful, I suggest passing it along to someone else who can use and enjoy it.

Chuckusaret

Sell a gun!!!. I sometimes swap guns, give guns to my adult kids, but seldom sell one. Would you sell your faithful dog?LOL.

PetahW

Push the CBS to "off" and install a small rubber "O" ring in it's exposed groove.

Then, you'll never get caught trying to shoot with the safety "on" again.

hodaka

I installed the $15 safety "kit" in my .357 carbine and eliminated the troublesome safety. Glad I did.

jmstr

I'm glad you are about decided to keep it.

Down the road your tastes may change and you'll still have it.

I have a '54 39a and it will be the last .22 rifle I ever sell. That said, I am thinking of a CMMG .22lr upper for my AR just for fun-sies.

But I won't sell my Glenfield Model 60 or Marlin Model 39a. Even if they don't see daylight more than once every couple of years.

I find the older Model 39a's to be a true classic, that performs well and holds' its attraction over time. I don't know if a S&W M&P .22 rifle will still be as 'hip' in 25 years.